Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 11:01 PM

Appreciate life

I have just this minute had a telephone call from my daughter letting me know that her husband's (my son-in-law) father has been diagnosed with lung cancer. From what his father told him the doctors say it is too late to do anything that could save his life.

I am still taking it in myself, for I am a good friend of Dans and was before my daughter even married his son.

I don't know any details yet (and even if I did I wouldn't post them here - no offense) but I will go down there tomorrow and see him.

He is only 57.

The moral of this story is - appreciate life and the people you love and care about, for as much as life is eternal by the power of Jesus Christ, our bodies are not.

I'm going to have a rather large Whiskey then go to bed I think, try and take it in.

P.S. For anybody who is going to come in and say "he brought it on himself" - save your breath.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 11:15 PM

Re: Appreciate life

I'm so sorry to hear this, Jim
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 08:13 AM

Oh that is bad news, I am sorry
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 08:38 AM

Jim, I am an athiest, but I echo your sentiment that life is finite and we should appreciate all that we love and care for while we have it.
My sincere best wishes go out to him.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 10:18 AM

So sorry, Jim. And I agree that we should all appreciate life every day.

Hope the whiskey helped a little.
JMC
norfolk
JMC is female 

12-12-2012, 10:34 AM

I am so sorry Jim
I know what you're going through. My younger brother is only 59, and has had bowel cancer which spread to the muscles in his abdomen, and he now has shadows on his lungs.
Compared to myself and my elder brother he has had a blameless life, - never smoked and seldom has a drink, and yet he's the one who's been caught.
Make the most of everyday, - none of us know whats round the corner.

My thoughts are with you

Jan
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Sorry to hear the bad news Jim.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Thanks folks, I visited him this morning and he seems to have given up even though the docs haven't said whether or not there is anything they can do yet.

I want to shake him and say "fight!!" but I don't know what I'd do in that situation, hell, who knows what anybody would do.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 12:03 PM

I have lost two brothers to Cancer.

In this case..

We should all be aware of the early signs and symptoms.
A lingering cough and shortness of breath with activity
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

12-12-2012, 12:22 PM

The problem is though that most smokers have both those things regularly even if everything is fine.

Of course the simple solution is to quit smoking, but it's not that easy. Even Dan is still smoking one pack of Embassys a day, though he has cut down from three packs so that is something.

I hope if the docs say there is a chance of survival he'll be able to quit 100%.

In the circumstances I'd like to think I could just quit straight away but who knows, maybe I couldn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top