Join for free
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Dig Finds 10,000 Year Old Home...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-20376243
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 06:08 PM

Re: Dig Finds 10,000 Year Old Home...

My wife pointed this out to me earlier and said "hey Jim, there's a picture of you on the internet"!

Cheeky cow.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Scottish dig unearths '10,000-year-old home' at Echline

The remains of what is believed to be one of Scotland's earliest homes have been uncovered during construction works for the new Forth crossing.

The site dates from the Mesolithic period, about 10,000 years ago.

Archaeological excavation works have been taking place in a field at Echline in South Queensferry in preparation for the Forth Replacement Crossing.

A large oval pit nearly 7m in length is all that remains of the dwelling, along with hearths, flint and arrowheads.

An amazing discovery and it adds another little bit to the 'Jigsaw Puzzle of Life on this Planet'

Most of the major discoveries are now made as a result of deep excavation work

There is still a lot of treasure out there but over time it has dropped below the range of the majority of detectors?

I still have my Metal Detector and I often consider taking it down from the attic and starting that hobby all over again.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 07:02 PM

I'm right into all that Suff......But then I guess most of you have noticed that over the last 18 Months.

I had a Wonderful time earlier this Year when I popped over to Orkney for the Day with my Daughter, and went Exploring Scarra Brae......What a Place.
But the Absolute Highlight was Bumping into Neil Oliver at the Ring of Brodgar Standing Stones.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2012, 04:24 AM

Ah! looks far too big for them. Apply the bedroom tax at once.

Interestingly Roxy's pic shows that the original Scotsmen were only about 2ft tall and lived in neolithic blocks of flats.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2012, 10:54 AM

Those houses are so nice and cuddly. I would complain about the small kitchen though.
Fancy bumping into Neil, I bet that was a nice shock, it would have been for me.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

19-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Interestingly Roxy's pic shows that the original Scotsmen were only about 2ft tall and lived in neolithic blocks of flats.
Actually No....I could Stand up easily enough in the one we were able to go into. That Photo was Taken from the Bank looking Down as the Roofs are no longer on the Homes. The Village is right on the Sea Front and was built into the Banks for protection from the Weather, it was a lovely Day when we were there, but the Wind coming in off the Sea was Freezing. Once down in the Village it was Warm again. I believe they were around 5ft Tall.....going by the Doorways anyway lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzvZMpYeGoE

oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

I haven't laughed as much in weeks
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the pictures Rox. I've never been to any archeological finds like Scarra Brae but they do fascinate me. Anything with an historical flavour, I enjoy. I have a stone that I dug up..I'm convinced it was a hand tool, it fits nicely into the palm and you can see where the flint was chipped to make it into a wedge.
If Neil Oliver is presenting a programme, we watch it. How lucky for you to meet him - I'm jealous.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

22-11-2012, 11:59 PM

That was the 2nd time Janela, I was at a Book Signing and had a good old Natter with him then. I also talk to him On Twitter. lol.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top