Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Idiots on Bikes who Don't Think.

I almost had a Very Nasty Moment when I went up to the Woods on the Hill this Morning, I was Tootaling along the Road when suddenly 2 Idiots on Mountain Bikes shot off the Hill and straight across the Road in Front of Me. I missed them by a Few Feet and If I'd not slammed the Brakes on there would have been a hell of a Pile up. One Swore at me and the other laughed as they went on their way.....I was left Shaking and Fuming. AND these were 2 Grown Men not Kids. Sometimes I wish I was one of the Halliwell Sisters from Charmed........They'd never do that to anyone Again.... Snarllllllll.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2012, 06:03 PM

Re: Idiots on Bikes who Don't Think.

We have the same thing around here Roxy, there are a section of the cycling public, usually young men dressed in lycra who seem to believe they can make up their own rules and to hell with everyone else. Apparently there is a game they play where they have to whizz past people at speed as close as they can get without touching them, especially approaching from behind. It's absolutely terrifying as you don't hear them coming. It's time there was an open season on cyclists, similar to the one for grouse, but lasting all year.....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2012, 06:15 PM

I agree with both of you and I also think that all bikes should be licenced and riders made to undertake competency tests before being on the road (or anywhere else). If every bike owned meant some sort of road tax like cars then think of the money the government could trawl in. Why not, after all bikers use the roads. I know they don't have an engine, but that should not make a difference IMO. They even have cycle tracks laid specifically for bikers, so I think they should contribute financially for what is provided.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2012, 06:54 PM

It's like that in a couple of the country parks where we go walking. They come from behind you, no bell or warning shout and miss you by millimetres (it used to be inches). It Spoils the pleasure of taking a walk.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2012, 07:01 PM

They should at least be forced to have insurance when cycling in a public place, and also some sort of unique registration system like the number plate on a car so they can be traced if necessary...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 07:34 AM

Oh come on... Think! How will you tax and licence children on their bikes? An equitable registration system will cost a lot more to run than it will bring in then you will be whinging about the increased taxes you pay. Most cyclists own cars too so they are already paying for the roads but they are taking up a lot less room than they would be if they chose to use their cars.

Bikes don't pollute, don't use imported fuel, don't damage the road, don't take up one sixth of the road space of a car etc and with the obesity epidemic you now want to tax the one exercise that keeps people healthy?

Darwinism will take care of the other issues. I am sure the mountain bikers find unlicensed pedestrians wandering all over the place spoil the pleasures of their ride.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 08:28 AM

Good point Bruce, i'm up for a Mobility Scooter/Zimmer Frame proficiency test, coupled with a pavement taxation policy, and public liability insurance.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 09:29 AM

my friend's mother had a disability scooter and she was registered blind. Eh?? Hubby's has no brakes.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

14-11-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Oh come on... Think! How will you tax and licence children on their bikes? An equitable registration system will cost a lot more to run than it will bring in then you will be whinging about the increased taxes you pay. Most cyclists own cars too so they are already paying for the roads but they are taking up a lot less room than they would be if they chose to use their cars.

Bikes don't pollute, don't use imported fuel, don't damage the road, don't take up one sixth of the road space of a car etc and with the obesity epidemic you now want to tax the one exercise that keeps people healthy?

Darwinism will take care of the other issues. I am sure the mountain bikers find unlicensed pedestrians wandering all over the place spoil the pleasures of their ride.
I'm not talking tax Bruce but I am talking insurance and accountability for adult cyclists in public places. We are talking here of a section of mainly young adult males who are unfortunately spoiling cycling for everyone. They are arrogant and intolerant and can cause serious harm in the event of a collision.

Cyclists do have accidents, and they are often caused through their own recklessness and disregard for anyone else, so they should be made accountable for their actions. They should be made to compensate the victims of any accidents caused by them, just the same as a motorist would have to, and to do that they would need to be insured and traceable. A few weeks ago a cyclist smashed into my wing mirror in a car park and just disappeared into the ether before I could stop him. The mirror cost me £75 to replace. If it had been my hip he had collided with I would have been off my legs for weeks...

Your final paragraph speaks volumes about attitude though, as it is that arrogance and intolerance of pedestrians that really irks...
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 11:27 AM

Most cyclists, like most drivers are pretty responsible. Unfortunately there is a minority of both who are dangerous, arrogant and irresponsible. Here in London we seem to have a higher proportion of arrogant cyclists than in other areas. Red lights are regarded as (at best) advisory for these idiots, who often just completely ignore them and then glare and swear at you if you manage to avoid hitting them as they ride happily through a red light. They have a real sense of entitlement, born of their "green" credentials. A few years ago, we had a "hug-a-husky" stall at a big "Christmas Frost Fair" on the South Bank near the Tate Modern. We were offering kiddies rides and photos with the dogs to help raise money for our Husky Welfare group. On the first day, we had groups of militant cyclists actually riding through the middle of our gazebo - endangering the dogs and the children who were cuddling them - claiming that as they rode this pathway every day, we had no right to block it. The fact that the event was organised by and sanctioned by the local council cut no ice with these morons and only physical intimidation would stop them (we have a 6'6" friend who is a bouncer by profession).
Not long ago, like plantman, my car was damaged by an idiot cyclist who came out from behind a bus, straight across the road in front of me. Luckily I had slowed down in expectation of the possibility of pedestrians doing the same thing, but this idiot was too quick and I hit him and his bike. He was uninjured and quickly did a runner (rider?) and left me with a damaged car and no recourse but to pay for the minor repairs myself or lose my NCB.
Luckily most cyclists are not like this but the few that are give the rest a bad rep!

Mick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top