Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Sulking.

Maybe it's just me but I think as you get older the less you are inclined to become sulky about anything, or maybe there's another word for old age sulking I don't know, annoyed or angry is not the same as sulky, "Aloof or withdrawn" says the dictionary, the sulks stand out on their own, even the facial expression is not the same as anger or annoyed, the lad in the picture reminds me of myself at his age, I was very prone to the sulks then, one example of many. When the other lads were picking a team to play football on the Street the Captains always left me as a last resort "Alright Mac, I supposed you'll have to do" how's that for confidence building. I really don't blame them as I was lousy at the game, but the fact of not being picked was heartbreaking and left me feeling a total failure, I'd sneak back to the wall and sulk, hoping at the same time that the Captain would get an accidental kick in the growlers.
Regarding the Wife and me, as we got older the wife, who's got medals for sulking in our early years together, doesn't sulk anymore, probably thinks it's a waste of time with me and I agree, if she has a gripe she doesn't be long about letting me know it, she never suffers in silence like I do..
The longest lasting sulk I ever had was one Christmas morning when I was expecting Santa to bring me an electric train set, I even went to the trouble of drawing one on his letter complete with electric wires, when I opened the parcel I found to my horror that it was one of those bloody wind up things with only one carriage! That was a marathon royal sulk and a testimony to my sulking endurance, I'm sort of proud of it now come to think of it.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2012, 03:15 PM

Re: Sulking.

I don't know about growing out of sulking jemflux, Mr Clumsy could win gold medals for sulking. He can sulk for weeks, I tell him to get on with it, I'll just carry on my life as usual and ignore him until he grows up After a time he becomes somewhat "sheepish" and thinks his sulk is forgotten.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2012, 03:24 PM

Don't think either of us have ever sulked. A few stony silences over the years I suppose... neither of us wanting to give in.
Of my four grandchildren, the youngest is a sulker. But he forgets quite quickly why...and I usually make faces at him, (now that can be frightening) and he tries to copy me
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2012, 03:34 PM

I think as one gets older sulking can seem more like a waste of precious time better to speak your mind and get it over and done with ...
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2012, 09:00 PM

Oh yes I agree,if something has to be said get on with it I say.I cant stand sulkers mind you living with me you dont get a chance to sulk, either you are just getting over one sulk and Annie says something else to sulk about so its a waste of time.My daughter says " oh dont wrap it up Mother, tell it how it is" and I usually do.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2012, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Oh yes I agree,if something has to be said get on with it I say.I cant stand sulkers mind you living with me you dont get a chance to sulk, either you are just getting over one sulk and Annie says something else to sulk about so its a waste of time.My daughter says " oh dont wrap it up Mother, tell it how it is" and I usually do.
I think we are very similar Annie
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2012, 01:32 AM

Oh I enjoy a good sulk! I've got my bottom lip down to a fine art now and that kid needs to work harder on his, but I don't sulk for long.

No, seriously, the things I sulk about are when shops don't have in what I'm after, which are usually the simplest things like a packet of barley. Over this weekend I tried four shops and not a packet of barley in sight, but I found a packet today, so sulk over.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2012, 09:19 AM

I'm not sure that I sulk. What I do is write a stinking letter to the individul person/s, company,shop or whatever, outlining my grievance broadly & in detail.

Having then enjoyed funneling all my rantings into the letter, file it in my boxfile "NOT SENT"Then I'm ok.
If on the rare occasion this doesnt work, then visuallising them sat straining on the loo does.

Having enjoyed the experience (internally) I see no reason to actually send the letter & waste my writng talents on them.

When I was a child & miserable, my dad would sit in front of me, lift my chin & sing

"Sing me a happy, sing me a happy, sing me a happy song"
or
"THe fly, the fly, the fly...be on the turnips"
or
" Sally's a funny old sow"

We both ended up giggling every time..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top