Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Coastal walk

After a frosty start, it was a fantastic day here so we went for a walk between two coastal villages, Gardenstown and Crovie (pronounced 'Crivie').
Gardenstown is a weird place which boasts more churches / head of population that anywhere else. An evangelical village in an otherwise very secular area. It is joined by a path along the coastline to Crovie and this has been walked by people as diverse as the late Malcolm McLaren (Sex pistols manager) and Prince Charles.

Crovie is a 'Clearance village' that was largely destroyed by storms in the 1950's. It is now mainly a tourist village. You will notice that the road does not pass the cottages, so visitors have to take their shopping from their cars on a hand cart to their house!

Gardenstown harbour.

Crovie.

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2012, 06:32 PM

Re: Coastal walk

It looks very nice George, you are one lucky man.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2012, 06:53 PM

It looks lovely George I wish we had weather like that....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Crovie looks a lovely little place nestled at the foot of the hills
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2012, 07:20 PM

Must be hardy folks down there in Crovie George, and I bet the houses are impossible to sell..
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2012, 07:38 PM

It must be glorious to live in Crovie but It looks a bit of a flood waiting to happen. I think I would risk it though
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Lovely photos George. The water is very still in the harbour.
Crovie is amazing..that's looks to be one hell of a climb. That's the beauty of this forum, we get to see places we are not likely to visit.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2012, 07:57 PM

It looks very nice there but I'm not so sure I would want to live there, especially on stormy days.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2012, 07:59 PM

Crovie, as I said, was almost wiped out and the remaining houses were sold for as little as £50. Most of the residents went to Gardenstown - about a mile away. Some people said that it should be flattened, but a preservation society was formed and the village restored. Now you will pay good money for a cottage to rent - and there doesn't seem to be any shortage of takers! There is a permenant population of about 6 !! It's also a very strict conservation area and any change virtually needs an act of parliament!

Gardenstown (locally called Gamrie - pronounces as in 'game') was founded by a Mr. Garden. Originally a fishing village, it now too relies a lot on on holiday cottages. Nearby are the remains of the Church of St John the Evangelist which was built in 1513, and celebrates the defeat of the Danes at this site in 1004
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2012, 08:18 PM

Very pretty to look at but I couldn't live so close to the sea. I haven't the legs either to walk back up that mountain. Very nice photo though well shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top