Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 08:31 PM

Shibboleth

I used to have a cast iron proof method of recognising whether a person was working class or middle class, Don’t ask me why -it was merely an observation with no real life application .- and is not to be confused with the “Shibboleth” method of sorting out northerners & southerners by asking them to pronounce the word BATH/. This of course wont make sense to any of you because-like the refrain YOU SAY POTATO AND I SAY POTATO, it doesn’t make sense unless verbalised.

I digress- its allowed.

The magic word[s] are MEAT DRAW- if you are middle class you wont have a clue what that expression refers to.

If you are working class you took part last week.

If you are a toff-what are you doing in here.

Finally- did you have to look up SHIBBOLETH & did I spell it right?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 08:51 PM

Re: Shibboleth

There's me thinking Hampshire was a bit middle class and posh. Was that you being photographed Robert in the Hampshire Lodge Hotel?

PS - I have taken the words "meat draw" literally - It could have a totally different meaning, but I won't go there.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 09:05 PM

Sorry, no idea what meat draw is!!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 09:30 PM

I had to "Google" it OB
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 09:40 PM

I have resisted the urge to Google, does MEAT DRAW have anything to do with a Donner Kebab?.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the replies chums, I am a tad surprised that no one knows what a meat draw is.
I am in truly illustrious company.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the commendation.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 10:17 PM

I won't google it but I'll take a wild Irish guess, Meat draw, anything to do with racing pigs?
In Dalkey on the South side of Dublin (where Bono lives) they say words that make them stick out from the rest of us peasants for instance, we say "My Daughter is getting married next week". They say "My Daughter is getting morried next week". "He's very narky today" "He's very norky today" "Tomorrow is Saturday" Tomorrow is Soturday" and so on, bleedin' stupid.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

24-10-2012, 10:28 PM

Spitfire, you are welcome.

Jemflux, an imaginative guess , but not even warm.

I'll give a clue on the morrow.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 10:38 PM

Meat draw ...... drawing a chicken?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top