Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 03:49 PM

People get happier as they age

Duh - who'd 'a thought it!
It doesn't come as any suprise to me - as long as one has health surely, for the majority of people, other problems diminish as time passes?.
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 03:58 PM

Re: People get happier as they age

I hope they're right
Though it doesn't seem long since I was reading about another report on depression in the elderly. It seemed to suggest a lot of older people were clinically depressed but not beong diagnosed.
I guess its like a lot of things everybody's different. Or perhaps we get happier up to a point and then go the other way when we become less able.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 04:02 PM

There are certainly some things I am much happier about - not having to worry about whether my hair is OK, or if my eyeliner's on straight or if that boy in Sainsbury's has even noticed me!!!

Other things I'm not so happy about - that hair is falling out quite fast, I can't see without my glasses to put eyeliner on and I KNOW that handsome boy doesn't even care if I dropped dead at his feet!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by angieh ->
There are certainly some things I am much happier about - not having to worry about whether my hair is OK, or if my eyeliner's on straight or if that boy in Sainsbury's has even noticed me!!!

Other things I'm not so happy about - that hair is falling out quite fast, I can't see without my glasses to put eyeliner on and I KNOW that handsome boy doesn't even care if I dropped dead at his feet!
Blimey Angie ,anyone would think you ancient!!!you are not over the hill yetThey do say 50 is not the new 40...
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 04:06 PM

Have to say that, sadly, Moli, everything I said was true!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 04:06 PM

I think it's true - well at least my dad is a happier chappy as he's grown older (used to be quite strict lol)
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 04:08 PM

Think you become content as you grow older, the kids are all grown up, and you do not have the resposibilities you had when younger....More time to do your own thing...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 08:59 PM

I can only say I'm much happier as I've gotten older. You gain perspective and things that were terribly important once are seen differently. I worry far less of what people say and think of me (and you'd be surprised how little they do!), and of course there's not the daily stress of commuting and work. I know it's a cliche, but I frequently think of the Serenity Prayer when something petty starts to annoy me ...it helps! I can't change it, so why get all upset? Life's too short! And since I'm in cliche mode, one of my signatures used to be:

You can't please everyone so you gotta' please yourself

True .......
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

08-08-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm definitely become happier as I've aged. I think this is down to my attitude - I'm very calm now, and look for solutions to problems in a totally laid back manner.

My job can be very stressful, but I love the way it keeps me on my toes five days a week. I get really bored when I'm on holiday. I need plenty of mental stimulation
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Agree with Vicki-think it is a lot to do with attitude. I've always been a calm person and laid back, to the annoyance of some, and therefore a happier person. I consider myself very lucky that I can look at life and not worry whats going to happen today, tomorrow..........next week........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top