Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 12:08 PM

Do you ever get the urge

Just lately I have been thinking that I want to trace my steps back a bit and return again to the places, haunts and people I have known in the past. I have found myself returning to places I have not been to for years and many things have changed, but some hardly at all. They say "never go back" and I don't really know why I feel I want to do this, but it seems to be a bit more than just nostalgia. Perhaps I'm just getting old, but does anyone else get these feelings - and have you done anything about them?
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 12:19 PM

Re: Do you ever get the urge

Funny enough - No. I more often get the urge to 'burn my boats' and not go back. Most of my close friends have scattered to the corners of the Earth and I feel less and less connection with the past.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 12:43 PM

Recently I have, yes.

For some reason lately I've been tying off loose ends. Almost like a bucket list, though I'm not dying. At least I sure hope not.

I've been to the woods where my wife and I first met, the place of our first "date", and today I'm going to take a drive out to the country to where I scattered my mother's ashes back in 1988, somewhere I've not visited in 12 years, truth be told I'm not looking forward to it for the reason she died still worshiping the memory of my father (who died earlier the same year) who made her life hell. The thought that she's in the afterlife now with him still doing what he did back then makes me sick, but I can't just not go.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 12:50 PM

I've spent a lifetime watching doors close behind me.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 01:42 PM

No I don't Where I used to live in Govan - my hometown - has all gone! I am on a site though that I have found a couple of people I played with as a child and that is sufficient for me! I never look back!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 02:12 PM

No I don't want to go back, it would bring back too many painful memories that are best forgotten.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 03:17 PM

No, I have no urge to go back. If my memories were all good, maybe.
Holiday haunts, yes, we've been back to places that both of us had holidays as children but those places had all changed beyond recognition - it wasn't worth it.
School friends, I have met one or two over the years but haven't any interest in keeping in touch. Although, there was one girl in our 'gang' that I'd like to meet again. We were 15 yrs old and beginning a good friendship, when her mother died giving birth to her baby sister. Her dad decided to move and that was it! She had triplet brothers who were adorable - we used to take them for walks in double and single pushchairs.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 03:25 PM

Nope definitely not. I never look back. Onwards and upwards thats me
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 03:40 PM

I can't remember who said this but I remember a someone came up with an interesting saying....

You cannot plant any fruit in the Past, nothing will ever grow there because it's a barren ground and not a place worth dwelling upon.
HeatherMK
Milton Keynes, UK
HeatherMK is female  HeatherMK has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 04:04 PM

A few years back I went to visit the village where I grew up and it was fascinating to discover the changes and find the things that had stayed the same. I enjoyed the day and the memories and might do it again some time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top