Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
jennym
bracknell, United Kingdom
jennym is female  jennym has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 08:13 PM

Chuggers

Has any-one else been accosted by these awful people, they either get you in town or come knocking on your door trying to get you to give a monthly amount to a charity by direct debit.
A couple of weeks ago I had a young chap come to my door & introduce himself & said he was from a charity ( I can't remember which one it was) & wanted me to sign up, I told him that I gave on a monthly basis to 5 charities & that I really couldn't afford to give any more or to have yet another direct debit, he went on at me that all my neighbours where giving & that it really wouldn't hurt to give a fiver a month, I told him to come round & rattle a tin at me & I would put in a fiver but I could not have that going out on a regular basis , eventually I got him to leave but on his way down the path he turned & said that I was ignorant, I was too shocked to say anything but now wish I had run down the path , jumped on his back & forced him to apologise !!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Re: Chuggers

So rude of him. Shame you didn't get all the details and informed his Office.
Hubby said the one he turned away recently, said almost the same...'all your neighbours are giving'.
We give to charity too, Sense and GOSH first, because they are relevant to us.
I won't be embarrassed into giving to though.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 09:17 PM

I don't go into towns any more and live hidden away down a farm track so am spared being accosted by these people.

I prefer to choose which charity I will support without being bullied into it and have in the past told these people just that.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 10:27 PM

The worrying thing is that Chuggers and their ilk probably sleep well at night.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 10:33 PM

We got conned into one off the doorstop as well. Started off a fiver a month then they keep phoning up asking could I give more ONLY a £ a month extra would make so much difference - so soft me says ok. A couple of months later they phone up again asking for more. It carries on every few months. In the end I canceled the DD. Then they start phoning up complaining about that. We had to tell them where to go in the end!! I dont mind putting a few bob in a tin but i wont get conned into a regular DD again.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't go into towns any more and live hidden away down a farm track so am spared being accosted by these people.

I prefer to choose which charity I will support without being bullied into it and have in the past told these people just that.
It could be me who wrote that Meg lol.
They are seldom seen here but I have seen them in the Town when I'm back in Perth. I refuse to deal with them, they always get me annoyed, and I think the Growl that starts to show it's self in my Voice is enough to back them off.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2012, 07:55 AM

I've been accosted twice in as many days - both by Red Cross. One chap came calling at the house, but I told him that I already supported various charities and I could only do so much. He was very polite and said that was fine and left without any fuss.

The other one was in the street in Fraserburgh. He asked if he could have a moment of my time. I said "NO". He didn't say any more.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2012, 10:43 AM

I will never buy or sign up for anything on the doorstep. If they are genuine they will gladly leave you the paperwork to look through an decide about at your leisure. My mum was pestered quite a lot by doorstep charity collectors, as well as telephone ones and I know she found it hard to say no. When she died, we found out that she had signed up for quite a few things and was paying quite a bit out each month in direct debits to charities and organisations. I am sure she had'nt realised how much she was paying out or forgotten that she had set the direct debits up.
jennym
bracknell, United Kingdom
jennym is female  jennym has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2012, 04:02 PM

Your poor mum, see this is the problem when some-one is kind hearted they seem to sense this & keep on until you say yes just to get rid of them.
When I came out of Sainsburys on monday a man was collecting for Battersea dogs home, so I got my purse out to put some money in the collection pot but couldn't see one I asked him where it was & he told me they very rarely ask for cash now they want people to give monthly by DD, in the time I had been talking to him quite a few people had also stopped money in hand but no-one had signed up to pay monthly, surely if they had both ways of getting money there they would have collected a lot more as people like me would have put in a bit extra due to feeling guilty about not being able to do a DD, I said this to the collector but he just shrugged.
janet gracey
london
janet gracey is female  janet gracey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Have had my fair share of them too. Last week one came to door after 7pm. Like a lot of you I give to who I want to. I just tell them I am a pensioner and living on a budget. Most of them accept that. Yes some of them when the come to door tell you that neighbours have signed up or given something. That's just trying to blackmail us. They are also out and about in our high street too. I just say 'no' not interested.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top