Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Pharmacies

I'm still waiting for a text from the pharmacy to say hubby's prescription is ready! I 'phoned for the repeat a week ago, he is now out of painkillers and running very low on other essential medication.
The doctors surgery had 'phoned to say we need to make an appointment for a review, fine, it has been a couple of years
What has aggravated us is, the pharmacist blames the doctor for holding back the prescriptions and the doctors receptionist says there is no hold-up! Our 'repeats' should be placed as normal WE DID!
I'm seriously thinking of changing pharmacies..I worked for 12 years in a local one, and we would bend over backwards for our patients.
Is it just a different generation and less care?
They do seem to buy cheap stuff now, sometimes the capsules 'squash' up when you try to get them out of the foil. And the manufacturers are different all the time - each company having a different colour that's ok for us, but must be very confusing for some old people.
And I'm still waiting . . . . . . grrr
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Re: Pharmacies

I guess I am luck in that my Doctors has it's own pharmacy and I can re order prescriptions online .

I notice a lot of pharmacies around here have a free delivery service.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 01:54 PM

A repeat prescription is only valid for a certain lengh of time, after which it has to be reviewed, if you do not see your doctor to have it reviewed you will not be able to get any more, it should tell you on your repeat how many more you can order before it expires, It seems to me your doctor wants to see you before he prescribes any more.
The pharmacy can't get them if the doctor wont prescribe them.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Yes I agree about never the same maufacturer of drugs, our doctors are having a face lift and yesterday we rode around the town looking for the new place, we didnt find it, today Joe went again and its in the grounds of a closed old peoples home in Portocabins.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 04:32 PM

After another 'phone call to the doctor's receptionist, who said the repeats were signed by the doctor four days ago! I asked if he was holding them back until we saw him, she said he couldn't do that, without a review and written notice, to cover everyone.
We then 'phoned the pharmacy..would you believe there was one page missing, that they discovered yesterday and they'd had to have it signed this morning.
What a load of rubbish.
Jimmy, how would I know, I never see the repeat prescriptions. Here, we simply 'phone the pharmacist, ask for a repeat and he texts us when they are ready. If the doctor wants to review our medication, he 'phones and makes the appointment with us, which he did.
The 'cock up' is with the pharmacy..we ordered eleven items for hubby, and only got eight this morning..fortunately two of the missing were non essential (a sharps bin and needles) but the other one they hurrying to get for tomorrow!

No, this is the last time I use this pharmacy..they have been careless and I don't trust them now. They obviously didn't order all eleven items, and blamed the doctor. I will have a word about it with him when I go for my review next week.

I'm sorry if I've gone on a bit but I take my husbands health and medication seriously. He can't go without any of his tablets or insulin and I expect the same courtesy from the pharmacist.

annie, my love, I'm glad you found your doctors (or Joe did ) Fancy hiding it away!
janet gracey
london
janet gracey is female  janet gracey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 04:39 PM

Hello. I did my repeat prescription online on Monday. Only the second time I have done it this way. Was in Health Centre at smoking clinic and went to enquire if it was ready It was. They do tell you that after a certain length of time you have to be reviewed by doctor. That's fair enough. I think they should look at prescriptions and if a review is coming up they should tell you as soon as possible to make sure you get medicines on time. I've heard same story from a few people, like you Janela, about chemists blaming doctors and vice versa. I hope your husband has got his medicines now.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

18-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Hi Janet, thanks for your reply. We are just waiting for one item, that has been promised for tomorrow.
We have heard patients grumbling about this pharmacy before but since we never had any problems we kept with them (last month we had an item missed - but thought it was a 'one off')
Our doctor 'phones us to make an appointment for a review, which is great. They know that most of us don't see the prescriptions anymore, the pharmacist deals with it, which is convenient for all concerned. As you say, it wouldn't hurt if the pharmacy mentioned it to patients.
I think doing it online is a good idea, like Meg does.
I'm going to take my bit of paper with everything I need, to the doctor next time and them I'm going to pick up my repeats and go to the chemist I used to work for, some years ago.
janet gracey
london
janet gracey is female  janet gracey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 05:12 PM

Hello Janela. My sister in law has had that problem too of items missing from prescription. Doing it online suits me. I only stay about 10 minutes from Health Centre, but don't pass it every day. Good idea to write everything all down for doctor and go to the chemist too. Hope you get other item tomorrow.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 06:29 PM

What annoys me about pharmacies now is the third degree interrogation they give you if you want to buy a patent medicine. At one time you could pick up all manner of staples such as anti hystamines or cough linctus off the shelf, but it's now behind the counter and they can refuse to sell you the stuff if they don't get the right answers to their questions! What a ridiculous nanny state we've become...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
What annoys me about pharmacies now is the third degree interrogation they give you if you want to buy a patent medicine. At one time you could pick up all manner of staples such as anti hystamines or cough linctus off the shelf, but it's now behind the counter and they can refuse to sell you the stuff if they don't get the right answers to their questions! What a ridiculous nanny state we've become...
I had to practical come to blows with a member of staff in Boots when I wanted to buy some eye cream for the medicine cabinet last Christmas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top