Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 12:08 AM

Add-Ons

I watch an awful lot of stuff on You Tube but now I'm getting adverts to the right of the programmes I watch and they're interfering with viewing. They are driving me bonkers.

However, a box has appeared at the bottom of my screen which say the following:

On the left:

Speed up browsing by disabling add-ons

To the right there are two inner boxes which say:

Choose add-ons
Ask me later/don't disable

Does this have anything to do with my viewing and if so, which one do I click as I'm confooosed.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 12:43 AM

Re: Add-Ons

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
However, a box has appeared at the bottom of my screen which say the following:

On the left:

Speed up browsing by disabling add-ons

To the right there are two inner boxes which say:

Choose add-ons
Ask me later/don't disable

Does this have anything to do with my viewing and if so, which one do I click as I'm confooosed.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Its related to Internet Explorer (IE) - Add ons are little programs which run with IE such as a search toolbar. While it is true they may slow up your browser unless you have a lot of them running the difference is negligible. Just click on the x or 'don't disable' (from memory - I don't use IE)

The best solution is to switch to Firefox which has an even better set of addons
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the reply, Bruce. I've tried Firefox but couldn't get on with it.

So, which little box do I click to get rid of these infernal ads? There's nothing to say disable add-ons.

I'm not very computer savvy, I'm afraid. I just want to watch my programmes in peace.

If I click on "don't disable" will it disable these add ons? Am still confooosed.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 12:56 AM

I suspect you are stuck with the ads unless perhaps you click on full screen in Youtube (bottom right hand corner of the video)

Ads are how Youtube (Google) makes money they are nothing to do with the addons - there might be an addon to disable the ads?? or you can download the Youtube videos and watch them at your leisure - try Freemake
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

18-10-2012, 01:01 AM

Yes, I have been going to full screen to get rid of the distraction but, odd as it seems, I prefer small screen because I have a huge monitor which I'm still trying to get used to, and full screen makes me bug-eyed.

I do appreciate that that's how they make money, but this has only been happening for the last few days. Previously, I was ad free!

Many thanks, Bruce. Looks like I'm stuck with it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 05:27 AM

Simple Adblock should prevent those ads from showing ..or it does when I'm using IE9. If I disable Simple Adblock, I see the advertisements you are describing. Enabling it makes them go away again (both actions require a restart of IE9).

The full version is not free but it comes with a 30 day unlimited trial. After that period, it reverts to the free version that only blocks 200 ads per day.

http://simple-adblock.com/
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Its related to Internet Explorer (IE) - Add ons are little programs which run with IE such as a search toolbar. While it is true they may slow up your browser unless you have a lot of them running the difference is negligible. Just click on the x or 'don't disable' (from memory - I don't use IE)

The best solution is to switch to Firefox which has an even better set of addons
I've got Firefox and I've suddenly aquired Babylon as a toolbar and search engine and it's not in my programs to remove it I found something last night but it was 12.30 and I didn't understand it so wrote it down now I don't understand what I wrote, so will have to try to disable it later. Ughhh!!"!!"!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

21-10-2012, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Simple Adblock should prevent those ads from showing ..or it does when I'm using IE9. If I disable Simple Adblock, I see the advertisements you are describing. Enabling it makes them go away again (both actions require a restart of IE9).

The full version is not free but it comes with a 30 day unlimited trial. After that period, it reverts to the free version that only blocks 200 ads per day.

http://simple-adblock.com/
Apologies Mart for not getting back to you. I really need a free Adblock as I can't afford to shell out, but I'll have a trawl round to see what I can find.

Hazel, I hope you worked out your problem with Babylon.

Computers! Infernal contraptions! But what would we do without them?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2012, 10:48 AM

There are some free alternatives but they can tend to be a bit more complicated to put in place. A Tracking Protection List (TPL) might help because the same ad-blocking lists are used as Adblock for Firefox. This isn't too difficult to set up:

* Open Internet Explorer.
* Go to 'Tools > Safety > Tracking Protection'.
* Click on the link that says 'Get a Tracking Protection List online'.
* A page will open showing the available TPLs.
* Add both 'EasyList Standard' and 'EasyPrivacy'.
* Close the browser, re-open it and see if the ads are gone.

Tracking Protection Lists are easy to install, disable or uninstall. A hosts file would probably work too but this is more complicated to install and uninstalling it might be considered a bit involved too. You can read all about host files here:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts2.htm

It's worth a mention that once a hosts file is in place, it affects all installed browsers. Not just Internet Explorer. I don't use a hosts file because I find the ad-blocking can be a bit too effective and some wanted ads get blocked as well. Not too handy if you actually need to see some ads when researching or buying a product.

If you are using IE most of the time, I think Simple Adblock is best if you can stretch to it. It even closes up spaces where the ads were situated in the page (where possible), so gives the page a better presentation. Remember that the price is a one-off payment. All future updates come at no extra cost.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

21-10-2012, 02:54 PM

Many thanks for that Mart. I'll have a go at that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top