Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2012, 12:56 PM

Does anybody else have a coal fire?

When I had our bungalow built in 1990 I made sure an open coal fire was fitted in the living room and to this day it is still burning almost every day with the weather being as cold as it is.

There is a radiator in the room also but that hasn't been turned on in years as I prefer just to light the fire for heat.

I know it is inefficient compared to central heating but I can afford it and just love the crackling of the wood and coal as it burns away giving off a beautiful display of flames and a gentle heat.

It is especially delightful when it is snowing in winter with a fine Whiskey and and old 78RPM record of Christmas carols.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2012, 03:20 PM

Re: Does anybody else have a coal fire?

Yes we do, My Partner's a Farmer and he lives in an old Cottage as his Folks still live in the Farmhouse. He moved into the old Cattlemans Cottage on the Farm when he was with his first Wife. He has the Central Heating working off the Fire and it's as good as the Modern Systems any Day....Cheaper too I Bet. Every Day when I walk the Dog in Dunnet Head Forest I take a Carrier Bag with me and pick up any Pine Cones I find as they make Grand Fire Lighters when they're dried out....Beautiful Smell too. If we get a Wind Storm he takes the Landrover and Saw to the Forest and cuts up Fallen Trees to bring Home for Burning too. We store Wood all Year round and seldom need to buy Coal.....though we do always have some. I have Gas Central Heating back in my own Home in Perth, but it's not on much as I'm not there much......Just for long W/E to see Family and do Shopping ect.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2012, 03:37 PM

Hiya Jim, we haven't got a coal fire but my parents and in-laws both had coal fires.

You can't beat em' for cosy, warm, homely, welcoming I can remember being poorly as a child and mum tucked me in a blanket in the armchair with the fire banked up and a glass of lucozade!

Christmas was better with a coal fire the atmosphere was better for some reason. Thawing out in front of a coal fire after walking home in the snow/sleet or rain was brill (except for the pain in your fingers) lol.

We lived in a two up two down terraced and my mum and dads room had a fireplace in it, it was never lit while we lived their but I can imagine nodding off watching the flames flicker ahh those were the days Jim.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2012, 03:49 PM

They sure were.

I did contemplate having a fireplace put in the bedroom as well but there probably wouldn't have been room as the television sits at the foot of the room on a wooden cabinet which leaves nowhere for one.

Ach well.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2012, 04:02 PM

We have central heating, but also had a multi-fuel stove installed where we burn both coal and logs. I agree that it makes a lovely focal point to a room and it's great in winter. Being an old house, it has two chimneys and 4 fireplaces, although 3 have been closed off. When we redecorated the kitchen, we found that there had originally been a large fireplace there (to take a small range?), but it had been removed and a smaller fireplace installed. It too had been closed off.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

15-10-2012, 04:18 PM

Yes those old houses had a fire place in every room but the bathroom in most cases!

Before we moved into the aforementioned bungalow 20 odd years ago we lived in a 5 bedroom house which had a fireplace in every bedroom plus one in the living room and study.

None of them were blocked off but in saying that apart from the study, living room and the wife and I's bedroom the others were never used so probably should have been.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2012, 04:22 PM

I am not a central heating fan but living in a wooden house,mobile home , as it has two small wheels, its the only way of keeping the whole house warm and free from condensation, we have a gas fire in the living room but never use it as its warm enough.I really miss my fire, thats all I miss from bricks and mortar.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

15-10-2012, 04:29 PM

As I was reading that the song "I Recall A Gypsy Woman" by Don Williams came on

I do like caravans, we have one on a site in Edinburgh and try to get up there yearly.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2012, 04:43 PM

Yes we have an open fire place in the sitting room. Don't use it much, we both hate clearing it out It's alway laid ready...in case of a power cut and we use it over the christmas and new year period.
I grew up in a house with six fire places and a brick copper in the scullery. I do believe the copper was lit for buckets of hot water to fill the bath
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

15-10-2012, 04:56 PM

I don't mind clearing the fireplace out, mainly because I don't! I get the slave to do it - AKA Susan my wife.

Heavens above I hope she doesn't read this

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top