Join for free
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Taking Your Broadband Forgranted.

At last some of Scotlands Islands are getting Broadband, it may be a Beautiful Place to live but you often need to choose between the Beauty, Peace, and slow pace of life against modern Technology that's taken forgranted on the Mainland.
Even up here, though I live on the Mainland I often can't get my Mobile Phone to Work. The Signal just vanishes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19920895
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2012, 10:29 AM

Re: Taking Your Broadband Forgranted.

I've experienced that quite often in the Yorkshire Dales.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2012, 12:42 PM

I feel for you Roxy, going back to dial up would seem like the stone age now after several years of broadband, although before we had broadband the internet still seemed amazing....
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2012, 06:08 PM

yes we have the same trouble up here too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2012, 06:23 PM

It's not just the highlands, we have problems here too out in the countryside.
Apparently we are 'too far from the exchange' to get a good service . At best we get a connection which is frequently very slow, sometimes there is no connection at all.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 04:39 PM

Hi Roxy, living in a small village in Aberdeenshire, I find the internet invaluable even though it's chronically slow. All these ads. for super fast fibre optic services are just a sick joke here.
Still, I use it a lot for banking and on-line shopping (not food). I wouldn't be totally lost without it, but it would be inconvenient.

There are jobs that can be done on-line, so having access to broadband can give you flexibility of where to live. Mind you, I wouldn't want to live on the islands (no matter how beautiful) - too wet and too many midgies.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 05:14 PM

It's rather Wet in Aberdeen too, is it not? I originally come from Mull off the West Coast., and it certainly knows how to Rain there. They say the West is the Wettest but I'm no so sure....these Days anyway. As for the Midges, I get pestered with them no Matter what part of Scotland I'm in....They just make a Beeline for me.lol

Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2012, 06:09 PM

And Roxy - you are correct, the West coast is the wettest, Renfrewshire where I am has had more rain fall than the rest of the UK put together, I bet!! We get rain here when no one else gets it!

Just love that cartoon - brilliant!!

A place I would loved to have gone to is Mull!

I am fed up contacting BT about "Infinity" - all those ads, yet where I live in Johnstone we can't get it!

Time for BT to start getting a grip and supply all of the UK, not just Scotland, with a fast broadband service, instead of advertising services they cannot provide!

Dreadful to think that in this day and age the Electricity companies cannot provide our islanders with electricity - men can go up into space but our islanders can't get electricity!

I loved that video, Roxy, in the clip!

Many thanks for sharing.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top