Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 07:49 PM

Handymen.

I think the older we get the more we have to rely on tradesmen or handymen to fix things. The jobs you or your other half used to be able to do have become too risky and dangerous, especially when a ladder is needed, or you just might not be bothered anymore, so you have to pay someone else to do the jobs and it's only natural to look for the best value and workmanship, but it's not easy finding the right person at the right price. (that sounds like the opening of an Ad.)
My wife and daughter look after that side of things, the wife used to have a "Mister Wonderful", her words, who could do anything, marvelous chap, all he was short of doing was raising the dead, but last year Mister Wonderful done a bunk with the money he got in advance to build a small brick wall in the garden, so that was the end of him, to the wife he became Dick Turpin after that, but to give Dick Turpin his due at least he had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed you, this fella was a real Lady charmer and bare faced robber.
Now the daughter has a few lads on a list who she knows and trusts and if we have to get something done we do it through her and so far she hasn't steered us wrong. I am still capable of doing lots of jobs around the house but they won't trust me with them, so be it. Have you got a trusted reliable handyman to call when you need him.?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 09:04 PM

Re: Handymen.

No, but I too have reached the stage where I don't want to do jobs which are too demanding. I just look in the local paper.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 09:19 PM

Is there such a thing as a reliable handy man,doubt it... now a reliable handy everyday woman well it would take too long!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 09:40 PM

My son-in-law is great. He has done all kinds for us. He is a plumber by trade but can turn his hand to any DIY job.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
My son-in-law is great. He has done all kinds for us. He is a plumber by trade but can turn his hand to any DIY job.
....... and his number is????
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 09:57 PM

I used to do everything myself except electrical work, now I don't seem to have the energy. I haven't really needed a handyman until now but will choose one from my little Age Concern directory when I do and hope he is reliable.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2012, 11:09 PM

Well I meant handymen and Women Annie, one of the Ads on here says there's a handywoman just 4 miles away, I don't think she's a plumber the way she's dressed.
The reason this sprung to mind was, today after I finished work in the shed I went upstairs to take a shower. I stripped naked and turned on the tap, the water was freezing so I dressed and went downstairs to try the kitchen tap, freezing too. the boiler wasn't heating the water so the wife called the daughter and in about 30 minutes this nice young chap arrived to fix it. He was over an hour working on it and only charged 50 Euro's, saying if it gives us any trouble to call him again, but he didn't think it would. So I had me shower, now I'm having me port and all's well that ends well.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2012, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
....... and his number is????
Not telling
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2012, 09:16 AM

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

13-10-2012, 07:53 PM

That's brilliant Bruce, never heard it before. I'm going to learn the song and sing is as my party piece at the old folks Christmas party in the local.
Janella, get your fella to learn it and we'll do a duet on top of his new shed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top