Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2012, 07:19 PM

Phishing !

I have become accustomed to phishing attacks supposedly from Banks, Building Societies, Tax Office etc., but the one that arrived today really takes the biscuit !

It purports to come from the F.B.I. no less - and says that money ($10,500,000,000 ) has been deposited in my name in a USA bank - by a terrorist organisation ! If I do not send details of my UK bank etc., etc., within the next three days - the F.B.I. will be forced to take action and I may end up in gaol - or even jail, as it is american !

Now I know it is only a phishing attack - but it is so threatening and scary. I have forwarded it to the Fraud line - and to FBI HQ - but can nothing be done to stop things like this ??
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Re: Phishing !

Unfortunately it is now a fact of life the there are many people out there who are trying to part you from your money and you need to be constantly vigilant. An hour ago I had, for the second time in a week, a phone call telling me that I am due a £1000 bonus in my pension and to hear more I had to press Number 5. Had I done so I would have been paying big money just to listen to their lies.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2012, 08:01 PM

Alan I remember your post. Today I received a cheque because of a mistake in my pension.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Alan, I had a similar call the other morning. I can't believe the amount of gullible people there must be out there for it to be worth their while keep ringing - and the same number too!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2012, 08:51 PM

How exciting Silver Tabby - the FBI no less! Do let us know if they email you back
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2012, 09:48 PM

LOL! I'd be willing to bet that they don't - but - if you don't hear from me for a few days please send me a file with a cake in it !!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

09-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
LOL! I'd be willing to bet that they don't - but - if you don't hear from me for a few days please send me a file with a cake in it !!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2012, 07:47 AM

I once got a message from them saying that I had been downloading copyright music and had to pay £100 within three days or be prosecuted. I sent the email to the police.
A quiet vulnerable type of person could panic and send them money.

I only opened the email because I had heard about FBI emails and wanted to see for myself what they contained.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2012, 09:15 AM

What an upset, the most ever given to me by mistake was a mere sixty five million from a financial foul up in Nigeria...the FBI e-mail looks much more lucrative....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2012, 10:25 AM

We get them all the Time, Mostly they come into the Spam Folders, where they get Deleted.....mostly without even being opened.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top