Join for free
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 01:34 PM

John o Groats, The Change :(

Take a Last Look at the Lovely Old Gothic House built up at John o Groats, it was being pulled down last time I was along there, all in the Name of Money and Progress. Soon I won't recognise the place with all the new things planned for there.
Did you know that John o Groats was named after the Man who built the House?
A mound near the John O'Groats House Hotel marks the site where Jan de Groot, a Dutchman, built his famous house in the reign of James IV (1488 - 1513). His seven descendants quarrelled about precedence and Jan de Groot solved this problem by building an octagonal house with eight doors, one for each of his seven sons and himself, and an eight sided table so that no one occupied the head of the table. Jan de Groot ran a ferry to Orkney and charged 2p a trip. The coin for this denomination became known as the 'groat'. Jan de Groot is buried in Canisbay churchyard where his tombstone can be seen, now moved to inside the entrance porch for protection against the weather. Over a period of time the name Jan de Groot has subsequently changed to John O'Groats.
IT WENT FROM THIS.

TO THIS, AFTER THEY LET THE ARTISTS LOOSE ON IT.

AND THIS WAS THE LAST TIME I WAS THERE
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Re: John o Groats, The Change :(

What a shame to see a house like that go to ruin.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 04:15 PM

Oh! what a shame to see such a lovely building go to ruin like that.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 04:21 PM

What a beautiful house it started off as! The National Trust should have taken it over. So sad to see.

Many thanks, Rox, for the history of it. It was very interesting. I wonder what the old man would say, his children also, they they came back and saw what has happened to it!

As you rightly said, all in the name of progress!!

Thank you for sharing those photos and for the historical info as well!! I learn something new every day!

Take care
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 10:08 PM

The second picture made my jaw drop!
Rosemary is right The National Trust should have stepped in. What is wrong with us British, we've knocked down so many old buildings in the name of progress and built a lot of monstrosities.
It is our history these people are messing with
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 10:15 PM

Roxy,
What an interesting history of JOhn O Groats. Until now the only thing I knew about it was it's link with Lands End.

Not every old building, church even, should be kept just because it's old, but this one obviously should have been treated more kindly, particularly with it's historical past.

Janela ,
I did wonder about the wisdom of building lots of monasteries.until I put my glasses on & re-read, correctly this time, lots of monstrosities
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Robert.......It's not even the True most Northerly Point of Scotland as most Think. That Honour goes to Dunnet Head 11 Miles North West of John o Groats, but getting to it it not easy at all, the tiny road is not suitable for a load of Traffic and there's no Ferry Link to the Orkneys. The only thing there is a View Point and a Light House..
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2012, 03:50 PM

Thank you for that, it's educational in here innit?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2012, 06:31 PM

I never made it to John O'Groats but I agree it's a shame when something so iconic is left to rack and ruin, but I hope they manage to redevelop the site with a building of equal grandeur and gravitas...
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2012, 12:09 PM

Thank you Roxy, for the interesting post's. Such a shame what has happened to the house.
I have been to John O'Groats, not that much there if I remember.
We had our two Scottie's with us at the time.
Some people wanted photo's of them under the sign.

Could have made a few quid,

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top