Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Rain
New Member!
Ireland
Rain is female 

26-09-2012, 04:23 PM

Wood Burning Stoves

We are about to get a wood burning stove. It now costs over 1000 euro to fill our tank for heating oil and we have been without proper heating for over two years.

We are so excited at the prospect of the stove which is going in the kitchen and will hopefully heat several rooms.

I wondered if anyone has any advice or tips about stoves and would like to know, if you have one- did you find it did the job well?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2012, 04:50 PM

Re: Wood Burning Stoves

Hi Rain I don't have a stove myself but have used them in holiday cottages and think they are lovely. Unfortunately the fabric of this house means I can't install one here.

My sister had a multi fuel stove fitter two years ago and it has been a great success making a huge difference to the warmth of her house.

Although she burns mainly wood they buy a bit of coal as well mainly to keep it going through the night during the coldest days of the winter.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2012, 06:42 PM

I had a gas stove like a wood burning stove but burning gas and it was very warm.I prefer a fire to central heating, it warms the rooms that the chimney goes thru, we have CH here with propane Gas that is a terrible price.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Our neighbours installed a stove when they extended their house. It burns wood, but also just about anything else, so that would be a muti-burner. They are very pleased with it and it is very efficient at heating their home - just need to keep a good supply of cheap wood stored up.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2012, 08:11 PM

Hi Rain, I had a multi fuel stove installed about 18 months ago and its Fantastic The only issue I have with mine is the size. Its small and too small for the standard sized logs and last year I spent hours sawing logs to make them smaller which was very tedious to say the least. I use a mix of logs and coal. I've recently ordered a load of logs and they've been cut a bit smaller and should fit the stove. They should be here by the weekend.

The other thing I'd recommend is not to buy too cheap. Well that's what I was told.

I got the stove because of the cost of oil, can't remember what I paid last year but think it was about £300 odd for half a tank, goodness knows what it is now and I will have to order some at some point.l
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2012, 09:28 PM

My son-in-law built a large extension onto their cottage and put in a wood burning stove. They love it and it really throws out the heat. He does favours occasionally for a woodyard and is happy to be paid part in wood
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2012, 03:59 PM

I have a wood burning stove. We are very happy with it. Easy to clean the glass door. Water on news paper with ash from the fire cleans it well.
If you look on my photo's, you will see it.
My OH get the wood for free, from work. So its very cheap to run.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 05:31 PM

We had one fitted in the lounge when we moved here. Fantastic ! - it is rated at 6 kw output and burns both smokeless coal and logs. The heat output is quite something - we've had to open windows sometimes in winter if it gets too warm!

Cost installed was about £1200, but that included a double skinned stainless steel flue liner and fitting. You will need to get your chimney checked and possibly a flue liner installed . There are also building regulations regarding the positioning of stoves etc.. but your supplier should know.

Logs are a reasonable price if bought in bulk. I buy about 2 tons at a time.
Remember, you will also need kindling and this is a silly price to buy, so save up/ scrounge / beg any scrap wood and chp it yourself.
Rain
New Member!
Ireland
Rain is female 

29-09-2012, 06:42 PM

The stove is now sitting in my kitchen! We also got ten free bales of peat briquettes with it. A professional is coming to assess the job of installing it soon. We think we’ll be having a metal sleeve put inside the chimney. We built the house in 2004 and that particular chimney, in the kitchen, has never been used. I really appreciate all the advice and tips and hope we will be as pleased with it as you all seem to be with yours. I love the idea of having to fling windows open to let the heat out! I will let you know how we get on once it is installed.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Best of luck with yours Rain, I'm sure that you will love it. We installed one three years ago and it was the best thing we ever did. We haven't even needed to buy any wood for it yet, as we live near to the forest so we can just pick up fallen timber, and one of our sons works on a building site so just takes wood out of the skip for us if we get short...heat doesn't get any cheaper...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top