Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Re: School...............

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Has anyone here ever USED algebra or Geometry since you've been out of school? Or even remember them?
Never-and if I had to can't remember what to do
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 09:02 PM

Enjoyed primary school then my parents moved house. Started a new senior school not knowing anyone. Being a shy person and lacking confidence I ended up being bullied and hated school so much.

I liked sciences, maths and english. Enjoyed algebra but could never 'get' trigonometry etc.

Hated sports (and those navy knickers), history , geography and RE.

Left with al the qualifications to take up my Uni place to become a pathologist. (later cancelled that path of my life, (later much regretted) but that's another story!!)
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 10:23 PM

It would seem to me after reading this that a majority of us did not care for sports!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2009, 11:47 PM

I was naughty in school too - but I loved it! Our school was meant to be one of the 'roughest' in the area, but the kids were really really friendly - I really did love it!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 12:25 AM

After attending a tiny village school I went to a larger school with my sisters and hated it. I was teased by the other children because I didn't have a mother.

I went to one of the very first comprehensive schools, loved some subjects including english, music and domestic science but I hated maths.
The maths teacher used to go round the class asking each person a maths question. Paralysed with fear I was unable to give a quick enough answer so was humiliated, I was made to say 'I am an idiot' and to kneel in front of the class for the entire lesson. I used to be physically sick before maths lessons .
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
After attending a tiny village school I went to a larger school with my sisters and hated it. I was teased by the other children because I didn't have a mother.

I went to one of the very first comprehensive schools, loved some subjects including english, music and domestic science but I hated maths.
The maths teacher used to go round the class asking each person a maths question. Paralysed with fear I was unable to give a quick enough answer so was humiliated, I was made to say 'I am an idiot' and to kneel in front of the class for the entire lesson. I used to be physically sick before maths lessons .
OMG, Meg, how sadistic; what an awful thing to do! Can't imagine that happening today.

I forgot to say I went to a very small Catholic girls school. Our senior class was 32 people!
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 08:08 AM

It would seem to me after reading this that a majority of us did not care for sports!
I'm strange as I loved them, it was my favourite subject.
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 08:12 AM

Has anyone here ever USED algebra or Geometry since you've been out of school? Or even remember them?
No never, I could never understand it at all.
I remember saying to my maths teacher that I didn't think I would ever have any need to add letters up, numbers would suffice. He replied that I would find algebra a neccesity as I went through my life.
Perhaps I am just dim but I have still never needed letters for adding up, only for writing.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 10:50 AM

OMG, Meg, how sadistic; what an awful thing to do! Can't imagine that happening today.

I forgot to say I went to a very small Catholic girls school. Our senior class was 32 people!
It still affects me now, if someone asks me to add things together quickly my mind goes blank, but I am ok if left to work things out slowly

I heard the teacher involved died at a young age of a heart attack..
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 12:06 PM

I use geometry all the time doing jobs like carpentry or working on the cars, it's all about getting the angles right innit.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top