Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 05:06 AM

Re: Energy To Matter - How is it done?

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
'ang abort - 'ang abort - we aven't finished with the tree question yet and we surely ave to give alan some time to catch up - 'es sitting countin his cucumbers in the glass house at the moment - Alan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get back 'ere!
What do you want Gumbud? Are you after picking my brains yet again ?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 06:25 AM

well talkin about brains I did used to do a nice lambs brains in broth and a sauted goats brain with par boiled cauliflorets and lebanese cucumbers - but I'm not sure how Alans brain would go down on the aussie barbecue!

still alan we are trying to figure out the the transfer of seeds into huge oak trees - I'm sure someone has a formula out there that they learned in simple Physics - Alan did you pay attention in simple Physics??
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 07:50 PM

So, some fun responses but we're not much further forward in terms of understanding.

Possibly I didn't really get my point across well enough.

Let me present the puzzle in a different form.

Suppose we got all the ladies here into a huge kitchen, and through the front door we kept delivering boxes of ingredients (flour, butter, meat, veg etc). I am confident that these ladies could pump out all manner of wonderful meat pies. For as long as I made ingredients available, they could make pies.

It's a simple process to understand. We supply a quantity of solid matter, and they transform that matter into something else.

You could think of this in many different ways. Provide an endless supply of bricks and you could build a huge house or tower. Provide tons of sand and it could be used to create lots of glass.

Now back to the tree. The "output" of the conversion process is a huge tree, made of lots of matter. But what is the material that feeds this process? How is all that matter made without tons of matter being fed into it?

As I said in the OP, there is not a huge hole in the ground so the tree isn't "eating" the earth beneath it. We are not converting soil into wood here. Something else has to be going on.

In the absence of any visible material going in, I have to conclude that the tree is creating MATTER from ENERGY. i.e. it is taking water and taking sunlight energy and somehow, quite miraculously, turning that into wood ! How on earth does it do that???!

There is, to my knowledge, only 1 animal that has a similar ability to create matter out of seemingly nothing. It is a type of crab, tho I don't remember which type.
This crab, like many crabs, periodically sheds it's shell and skin. It literally leaves an entire crab shaped shell behind with all its legs. It is then in a very vulnerable state for a while as it is completely soft at that point and predators could easily eat it.

But then the magic happens. It regrows another outer body. So a new shell, and all its limbs have hard shell again.
But the miracle is this. Scientists have put this crab in a water tank containing NOTHING but water. They have watched it shed its skin and regrow another and in that process the crab was given no food and it did not eat the discarded shell.

The conclusion again is that the crab has converted energy into matter. At some stage the human race will undoubtedly understand and harness this ability. When it does, everything will change because energy is abundant. It is all around us. We will want for nothing. Just like the Star Trek food replicators we will just manifest food to eat from freely available energy.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 08:50 PM

oh you numskill you - God does it - it's magic X squared equals Y to the power of 1000 - God can do anyfing!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 09:36 PM

oh you numskill you - God does it - it's magic X squared equals Y to the power of 1000 - God can do anyfing!
You think?

Well he made a bit of a blunder with the human eye ball. It is completely wired up wrong. Most people are unaware. If you were going to build a light sensitive device (like a camera lens) which required hundreds of wires attached to it, you would sensibly put all the wires at the back behind all of the light sensitive elements.

The eye ball has a hole in the middle and all the "wires" from the back come through that hole and attach to your eye on the front side, thereby limiting your vision.

No engineer would ever design it this way. It has happened as a result of evolution.

Dawkins:
" the eye's 'photocells' are pointing backwards, away from the scene being looked at. The 'wires' connecting the photocells to the brain run over all the surface of the retina, so the light rays have to pass through a carpet of massed wires before they hit the photocells. "
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 11:54 AM

'ang abort - 'ang abort - we aven't finished with the tree question yet and we surely ave to give alan some time to catch up - 'es sitting countin his cucumbers in the glass house at the moment - Alan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get back 'ere!
While he's there I hope he's measuring slugs!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 09:54 PM

Very interesting about the eyeballs Realist, I'm sure the man above had a good reason for wiring it that way, maybe if we could see more than we're supposed to see we could really go to town on this old earth and make a complete balls of it in far quicker time than we are at present, it's an ill wind and all that.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You think?

Well he made a bit of a blunder with the human eye ball. It is completely wired up wrong. Most people are unaware. If you were going to build a light sensitive device (like a camera lens) which required hundreds of wires attached to it, you would sensibly put all the wires at the back behind all of the light sensitive elements.

The eye ball has a hole in the middle and all the "wires" from the back come through that hole and attach to your eye on the front side, thereby limiting your vision.

No engineer would ever design it this way. It has happened as a result of evolution.

Dawkins:
" the eye's 'photocells' are pointing backwards, away from the scene being looked at. The 'wires' connecting the photocells to the brain run over all the surface of the retina, so the light rays have to pass through a carpet of massed wires before they hit the photocells. "
I think you may need to brush up on your knowledge of eye anatomy...
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

15-07-2015, 10:52 PM

oh more than the anatomy of the eye - I'd go much further and say Realist brush up on your anatomy of Life!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2015, 10:22 AM

Seeds get their energy from light, nutrients and water, without any of these the seed wouldn't survive.
There is a word for it but I can't remember it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top