Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 11:55 AM

Re: The Labour MP and The NUM Benevolent fund Mortgage

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

That is not my primary issue UJ.

The killer for me is this.

Newsnight has established that Mr Lavery received a £72,500 mortgage in 1994 from the union's benevolent fund repayable at less than half the market interest rate.

That is just so wrong.

Then you need to condemn the benevolent fund managers for granting him that mortgage at such a preferential interest rate, its entirely possible Mr Lavery had no power over which rate of interest was to be given.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Arthur Scargill had more than his share of money out of the NUM. I wonder how many more are at it.
Maybe UJ can tell us Alan?
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 12:33 PM

Speaking of Scargill reminded me of the time he tried to buy his NUM's rent free London flat at a discount from the council under Thatcher's 'right to buy' policy. What a hypocrite! The miners really were unlucky with their choice of officials.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Maybe UJ can tell us Alan?
In answer to this and on another thread I said this:

Yes I saw that story too, but what we don't know is whether he disclosed that income when he became an MP, if he didn't then yes I would condemn him for that failure to do so.
scot37
Aberdeenshire

15-04-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
In answer to this and on another thread I said this:

Yes I saw that story too, but what we don't know is whether he disclosed that income when he became an MP, if he didn't then yes I would condemn him for that failure to do so.
No UJ the question was how many more union officials were 'at it'
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 01:10 PM

Then you need to condemn the benevolent fund managers for granting him that mortgage at such a preferential interest rate, its entirely possible Mr Lavery had no power over which rate of interest was to be given.
I'm not sure about that UJ I would say it's the borrowers fault when we borrow we have to look at the deals and take responsibility for our decisions. IMO.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

15-04-2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not sure about that UJ I would say it's the borrowers fault when we borrow we have to look at the deals and take responsibility for our decisions. IMO.

Yes Julie darlin' but it was the fund managers of the benevolent fund who offered such a low interest loan, it was perhaps them who were responsible, not the the MP
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 01:56 PM

Yes Julie darlin' but it was the fund managers of the benevolent fund who offered such a low interest loan, it was perhaps them who were responsible, not the the MP
Well I think we can blame them both enough blame to go around imo
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It's not just about corruption Alan, for me it is also about principles. If I was a Union Official I wouldn't touch a penny of money from the Miners Benevolent fund for a mortgage even if it was offered to me.
UJ I notice you didn't start a thread about 'nasty scum bag' (words you so frequently use against the members of one particular party) union officials taking money from the Miners Benevolent fund . I guess as long as you are not a Tory or rich it is ok to be short on principles...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-04-2016, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
UJ I notice you didn't start a thread about 'nasty scum bag' (words you so frequently use against the members of one particular party) officials taking money from the Miners Benevolent fund . I guess as long as you are not a Tory or rich it is ok to be short on principles...
Umm not all union officials are labour or even left leaning, many are tories just a point needed saying IMO.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top