Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 12:14 AM

Re: What security programs?

I use AVG for my anti-virus and we use it also at work. It does update regularly and stops viruii getting through. For anti-spyware I use Superantispyware which is excellent. I run them both at least once a month.

I'd never pay for any of these packages as the free ones do the same job, or so I've been told by a computer expert.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->

I'd never pay for any of these packages as the free ones do the same job, or so I've been told by a computer expert.
I agree Mollie I have been told so as well. Paying is a waste of money and unnecessary. AVG is good and Avast is too.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 08:30 AM

True that security programs all do the same job but some do it better than others according to tests.

Paid programs need not be expensive if you shop around (don't buy from the manufacturers site). For instance, Kaspersky can be found for as little as £12-17 for a 3 computer licence at the present date and BitDefender for £9-99. Both tend to do better than some other programs in tests.

Free security is always attractive but I think the funding of them depends on a number of people buying or upgrading to the suppliers paid versions. Maybe there's a case for supporting a manufacturer if their free product has served a user well for a number of years?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 04:21 PM

I have AVG too and like Lynne have access to Kaspersky for free but my son who is a computers boffin says AVG is adequate for my needs I also have Malware/Spyware programme..
I don't frequent dubious sities , I don't open email/ attachments from unknown senders and I have not had any problems so far...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 04:57 PM

I have a son who has spent years with an interest in computers and who has been employed as a computer programmer for about thirteen years. He uses and recommends Norton because of its detection rates and the fact that it isn't easy to disable or uninstall.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I have a son who has spent years with an interest in computers and who has been employed as a computer programmer for about thirteen years. He uses and recommends Norton because of its detection rates and the fact that it isn't easy to disable or uninstall.
When my partner Gordon bought a laptop back in 2004 it already had Norton installed on it. It was a Hewlett Packard and like other computers, if the manufacturer installed Norton, then they got a pay-back from Norton for doing so.

I knew a lot less about computers back then (and I don't know that much now), but Norton was an absolute pain to get rid of because, when one component was removed, another popped up in its place, making Norton itself a virus. However, from what folk have said, I believe that it is better now than back then. I've also had Avast recommended to me as well.

Norton is very easy to disable or uninstall but you have to use the uninstall tool to get rid of it altogether. It took me a while, but by heck I managed it.

Nobody has said which Anti-Spyware they have and that's just as important as Anti-Virus.

Like Meg, I don't open up dubious sites and never open anything that goes into my Spam box.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 12:07 AM

I like the free anti virus too but for reasons to long to explain I use NOD32 on all my computers - it costs me about $70 for three years. However I teach senior's computer and Internet under a government scheme and often help them install one of the free ones.

AVC, Avast, Microsoft security all seem to work well coupled with the occasional run of Malwarebytes and a firewall.

If you are worried then read some reviews:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25412...can_trust.html

Personally I think Nortons is just bloatware - an appalling program, take the free 3 months then delete it.

I still come across computers with two antivirus programs running and have to explain that it is why the computer runs so slowly as they fight each other.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

28-07-2012, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I still come across computers with two antivirus programs running and have to explain that it is why the computer runs so slowly as they fight each other.
Indeed they do, Bruce. Only one anti-virus is necessary, but as many anti-spyware, if you feel you need them.

It's the same with firewalls. You should only ever have one firewall running because, if there are more, they will have an online battle with each other and cause a lot of problems.

I used to use PC Tools which I found very good, but I disremember now why I stopped using it.

When it came out, I installed Microsoft Security, and my computer crashed completely! I couldn't fettle it myself, but my friend who is a computer expert kept my system overnight and cleared it all out for me.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

28-07-2012, 05:54 AM

The Norton Removal Tool seems to do the job well enough but I found that even after using it, there were still files/folders and Registry entries remaining. Searching for and removing them manually seemed to do no harm but others might find differently.

Norton is a different program to what it was regarding bloat. I believe the suite is even one of the lighter programs of its type since the total rewrite it had for the 2009 version. It does still have a reputation it can't shake off because of the versions previous to that though.

I think that a Security Suite, being an all-in-one program, can appear heavier on the system than separate components (firewall -AV program - other monitoring programs). However, maybe if the computer resources taken by the individual components were added up, they might be about the same as a suite.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 07:19 AM

I use Microsoft security essentials which is specifically design for Windows,(Free) I used to use Norton, takes up to much memory and wants to control everything, Kaspersky, needs loads of memory and a lot of time training it, McAfee, wants to control your computer and how you use it, all three are difficult to remove entirely and almost impossible for non-techies as you need to remove the hidden bits via the register which I would not recommend anyone to venture there unless they know what they are doing.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top