Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Re: My first post

Great photos, particularly the goldfinch. I get them too but didn't know they liked sunflower seeds, I usually put out niger seed for them which can be a bit messy. When I've run out I think I'll try the sunflower seeds.
Dorcas
UK
Dorcas is female  Dorcas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Great photos, particularly the goldfinch. I get them too but didn't know they liked sunflower seeds, I usually put out niger seed for them which can be a bit messy. When I've run out I think I'll try the sunflower seeds.
Niger seed is supposed to be very good for Gold Finches, but you know, I bought niger seed a few years ago and for whatever reason my goldfinches wouldn't touch them, expensive as they were I had to bin them in the end.

I feed Sunflower Hearts there is not the mess as you get from all the shells on the ground, but they do cost more!
All the birds seem to prefer these, even to my seed feeders.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dorcas ->

Niger seed is supposed to be very good for Gold Finches, but you know, I bought niger seed a few years ago and for whatever reason my goldfinches wouldn't touch them, expensive as they were I had to bin them in the end.

I feed Sunflower Hearts there is not the mess as you get from all the shells on the ground, but they do cost more!
All the birds seem to prefer these, even to my seed feeders.
I put out some Niger seed a few days ago after an absence of a few weeks and half of it has gone but I never see the birds as a shrub hides them from view. Must look for somewhere else to put the feeder so that I can actually see them!
Dorcas
UK
Dorcas is female  Dorcas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
I put out some Niger seed a few days ago after an absence of a few weeks and half of it has gone but I never see the birds as a shrub hides them from view. Must look for somewhere else to put the feeder so that I can actually see them!
Yes I agree, I get much pleasure in watching all the birds feeding, I have my feeding station at the bottom of the garden, an area flagged just for the bird feeders it makes it so much easier for sweeping up any mess.
The feeding area is in full view of my kitchen window, there were over 11 different birds in this morning often 14.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top