Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2014, 05:02 PM

Re: What kind of charity work would you like to get invovled with?

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Oh Dinasmum, furry fliys, you reminded me. I was clothing organiser when I lived in Glouster at Spa road. You could wear plastic gloves and you soon get used to the smell!. I also did One -in Five talks around the area the idea being if one in five knew what to do in an emergency there wouldn't be one.great fun and lots of friends, also was a Prison Visitor for YPS at Glos jail.Go for it girl you will love it. The only probs for me was regulally being chased around town by the clients after they had been on the scrumpy.

And therein lies the $64,000 question Annie darlin' - were you ever 'caught'????
Uncle Mo
Hitchin Hertfordshire UK
Uncle Mo is male  Uncle Mo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2014, 01:41 AM

Thanks for your kind thoughts Pats
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Another "been there and done it" I'm afraid. I spent 40 years working with teenagers so when I retired I wanted to do something different. My wife and I had got so much pleasure from our dogs over the years that we decided to set up our own Siberian Husky Rescue (a real rescue crisis was developing in the breed). Seven years (and almost 800 rehomed dogs) on we are still going strong, although we will be gradually withdrawing from active work over the next year or so. We've also done a lot of work with our dogs on behalf of The Starlight Foundation - an amazing charity which works with terminally ill children. One of the saddest events we were involved in was last October when we brought our dogs to a little girl's Christmas Party (she was not expected to live until Christmas). Very sad but very worthwhile.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2014, 04:44 PM

Now that would be telling UJ!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2014, 05:18 PM

I am an animal lover and I often despair at the treatment all animals suffer at the hands of human beings but when it comes to charities I think of human beings FIRST and people in my country FIRST.

My wife and I do our best to support Cancer Research by donating clothes, books etcetera on a regular basis but when it came to animal charities the aggressive, rather vindictive habits of the RSPCA put us off all animal charities, so much so that my wife cancelled her regular donation when they constantly bombarded her for more money.
£160,000 RSPCA CEO salary? You are having a laugh!

Anything to help Disabled people gets my vote too I must say - I work in a place that looks after 34 (at present) disabled residents. Helping them to have the best lives that they can is very important as far as I'm concerned. stevmk2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Now that would be telling UJ!

Spoilsport!!!
Trixie
Kent
Trixie is female  Trixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2014, 01:13 PM

Having plenty of time on my hands I thought I'd volunteer to work with the Citizens Advice Bureau. However all they wanted me to be was a receptionist, despite my many years of experience in social work, and I was reprimanded sharply for suggesting a solution to a financial problem.

However I feel that I should be contributing to society for as long as I'm able, any suggestions as to which charities could be looking for volunteers?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

02-02-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Trixie ->
Having plenty of time on my hands I thought I'd volunteer to work with the Citizens Advice Bureau. However all they wanted me to be was a receptionist, despite my many years of experience in social work, and I was reprimanded sharply for suggesting a solution to a financial problem.

However I feel that I should be contributing to society for as long as I'm able, any suggestions as to which charities could be looking for volunteers?

Trixie darlin' - before they let you lose as an adviser, you have to complete the CABX training course (which is total crap!!!). It used to be the case that CABX advisers also provided representation at Tribunal hearings, but with the withdrawal of 'Legal Aid' some years ago - CABX are no longer capable of doing so.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Trixie darlin' - before they let you lose as an adviser, you have to complete the CABX training course (which is total crap!!!). It used to be the case that CABX advisers also provided representation at Tribunal hearings, but with the withdrawal of 'Legal Aid' some years ago - CABX are no longer capable of doing so.
I used to be a CAB advisor but couldn't put in enough time, I don't know what the training course is like now but I found it OK at the time.
CAB advisers do still represent people at courts and tribunals.
Trixie
Kent
Trixie is female  Trixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2014, 02:35 PM

Thank you for agreeing with me re. the CAB training course, Uncle J! It would have been 6 months of learning the bloomin' obvious before I'd be allowed to take customers' names and addresses!

Any suggestions as to what charities in Kent might be looking for volunteers?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top