Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2009, 04:29 PM

Re: Postal service

The Post Office is in deep financial trouble here. Volume has decreased as more and more people use e-mail and electronic bill payment and other means. And every time the rates go up volume drops again. They are now talking about stopping Saturday delivery, and are closing many offices. Sad.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2009, 02:01 PM

Looks like we'll have a strike
I feel sorry for people with small businesses who rely on the mail
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 01:26 PM

Looks likke a strike is now looming in Scotland....My sons business replys heavily on the Postal Service!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Maybe a good thing in a way, . . no more junk mail through the door and no begging letters either.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 08:29 AM

No post tomorrow, . . I've been listening to the arguments on both sides in this dispute and to me the management smacks of Thatcherism, . . they won't even go to ACAS unless the union cancels the strike tomorrow, they've cut the hours that posties work from 10 to 8 a day which means the workers will be paid less, management says they want to move forward, I've heard that one before and usually it has a hidden agenda like job cuts.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 09:47 AM

I agree Nero.
I think both sides should be locked in a room with a tap and a bucket, nothing else, and not allowed out till they've reached a settlement
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 09:52 AM

They won't win either by going on strike. They haven't before! My late brother worked all his life for the RM - he was on the mail trains and was on the one that was robbed - and he was out on strike for weeks but they all went back in the end not getting what the union wanted! Striking is not the answer.

The mail service I get here is ridiculous. We are lucky to see our mail by 3 pm!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 12:21 PM

It's my little grandson's birthday tomorrow so I hope people posted his cards well in advanced..
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 12:31 PM

Yes, Mags - it's the small children I feel sorry for. They set such store by receiving their cards that it must be such a disappointment not to get them - and all because some bunch of selfish so-and-sos feel they have a grievance.

Thankfully it won't impact on our business, but I understand the concern felt by all those online businesses who rely on the Royal Mail for despatch of goods.

I do feel that it is a final nail in the coffin of this company - and maybe a good thing too; to have it opened up to competition will mean than become productive or disappear.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
It's my little grandson's birthday tomorrow so I hope people posted his cards well in advanced..
It's my Niece's as well Mags-we have all posted cards early so hopefully she will have got them today-not the same for them when they get their cards late. Hope your little grandson enjoys his birthday.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top