Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 10:38 PM

Re: Texting and walking injuries climb

Mine's always turned off but I do carry it with me just in case I need help. I only keep it on when holidaying just in case I'm need for any emergency.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 11:54 PM

I do use texting for a quick exchange of info with my kids but it's much nicer to sit down and talk on the phone. For the life of me I can't remember who or why I was texting as I walked in the parking lot but won't do that again.

On another 'distracted driving' note - I saw a fellow brushing his teeth while driving 120 kph on the highway. After he raced past me I kept watch to see if he'd spit out the window but he never did.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 10:18 AM

I always have my mobile with me in case of emergencies, I am more often than not alone in the car. The one thing that really does get right up my nose is when in a restaurant and someone at the next table is constantly yakking away on his/her phone thinking everyone in the place needs to hear the conversation, which usually goes on for ages, then the minute that conversation is over they beging ringing or texting someone else. It drives me crazy.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 11:59 AM

Whilst I personally do not text or phone on the move this 'only keep the mobile phone for emergencies' is so out of date as to be absurd.

I hear it so many times at my seniors' club that I have now taken to asking the person,'Why?' and once they actually think about their phone usage so many come round to the idea that getting rid of the fixed line or taking advantage of the Incontact service (free line rental and incoming calls only) while subscribing to a prepaid all included mobile phone service would actually be cheaper and and more useful that using the phone as they do now.

My kids NEVER have a fixed line and when I think of the money I spent at their age getting phones connected every time I moved accommodation I am so envious.

I would get rid of the fixed line tomorrow if I didn't use it for the Internet and I can't wait to be connected to the fibre NBN when a fixed line will be a thing of the past. Bring it on!
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 10:37 PM

My phone is always off I only use it if I need to speak to hubby to collect me from wherever ...
My mum who is 78 uses hers all the time we recently took her on holiday and she was forever texting in the back of the car but she had a silly bleep bleep on it every time she pressed a key and you would jump out of your skin when she first pressed it also on the way there we stopped at a motorway services for a bite and as we were being served her phone went as she was halfway through ordering and she just walked off and left the poor chappie staring after her in disbelief I appoligised for her and carried on with her order I was so embaressed I can't believe all the pumping that she did to us when we were young about manners has all gone out the window...
Sue
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2012, 01:57 AM

Texting has ruined the art of conversation, and is also severely impacting on the use of the English language, using "of" instead of "have" etc so it's no wonder kids today can't spell and have little knowledge of their native language.

People can regularly be seen with a phone glued to the side of their heads and having blazing arguments, f...ing and blinding for all to hear.

So, how did we manage before mobile phones? We managed. Technology isn't always for the best and I am so glad I got rid of mine. A very anti-social piece of equipment, for for some necessary, I suppose.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Texting has ruined the art of conversation, and is also severely impacting on the use of the English language, using "of" instead of "have" etc so it's no wonder kids today can't spell and have little knowledge of their native language.

People can regularly be seen with a phone glued to the side of their heads and having blazing arguments, f...ing and blinding for all to hear.

So, how did we manage before mobile phones? We managed. Technology isn't always for the best and I am so glad I got rid of mine. A very anti-social piece of equipment, for for some necessary, I suppose.
I can't believe that mobile phones have had much effect on grammar (my father blamed it all on television) and while they might have had some effect on spelling I suspect it will be a transitory thing. Education or lack of it is the cause of most of that. Texting is just a form of shorthand and as technology gets better will become unnecessary. Personally I write everything in full and with the proper punctuation but it really isn't necessary for everyone. English is a dynamic, living language... it will cope.

Yes, we did manage before mobile phones but so did we before cars, electricity, trains, microwave ovens, computers, television, radio, transistors, bicycles and so on. Accept it and move on, remember the Luddites?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2012, 10:23 PM

You are right Bruce. Language is in a constant state of change and it is usually the young who instigate it.
The sixties brought words that were unique to that era.
You only need to look back at the works of Dickens or Shakespeare, to see how language has changed.
I heard one of the younger members of my family saying to another. "Stay neem bro". I asked him what he meant by it.
He said it meant. Keep looking good. I consulted the dictionary and the word has to do with a tree

The dictionary adds words as and when the meaning becomes acceptable and common place. Look out for neem
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2012, 11:10 PM

Forget walking I have trouble texting while sitting down, the letters are so small on my mobile phone (a very ancient cast off ) .
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2012, 09:26 AM

I love using mine I use it for emails, texting & calls. Its fun imho!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top