Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 10:22 AM

Re: London riots

Originally Posted by rueben ->
It's a sad state of affairs--A large portion of the young generation are without hope or optimism and revert to an attitude of -you don't care about me so I don't care about you!
I'm not sure that is the cause. In the thirties there were many without hope, plus there was very little in the way of government benefits.

Nor was there cheap alcohol, mobile/smart phones or the internet. However there has always been the - I don't care about anyone but myself - element. It appears to have come to the fore of late.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nuttygran ->
I'm not sure that is the cause. In the thirties there were many without hope, plus there was very little in the way of government benefits.

Nor was there cheap alcohol, mobile/smart phones or the internet. However there has always been the - I don't care about anyone but myself - element. It appears to have come to the fore of late.
Life and society have always had trouble and strife but the speed and connectivity by mass media insights rebellion in a way that wasn't possible in earlier years. Through lack of parental care many young do not have the support of a solid family base to keep them on the straight and narrow. Alcohol and drug abuse are on the increase. Recession and unemployment they all plays there part and the underprivileged rebel when they believe they are being let down by the powers that be. It's like a time bomb waiting to go off and it just needs an isolated incident as an excuse to set off.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nuttygran ->

Iris things are very different from the thirties or even the 50s when I was young, then most people didn't have much at all in the way of possessions .
What we had we shared, neighbour helped neighbour, you didn't need to lock your doors because there was nothing to steal. Those who 'had' were few, most people were 'have nots'.

There was also very little mobility , most people stayed in the area in which they were born so everyone knew everyone else, you couldn't put a foot out of place without the whole community knowing about it .
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 11:27 AM

Get rid of all the social networking sites, they are more trouble than they are worth. I for one would never join any of them especially Facebook. If you want to contact someone whats wrong with e-mail or the telephone. Works for me.
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Iris things are very different from the thirties or even the 50s when I was young, then most people didn't have much at all in the way of possessions .
What we had we shared, neighbour helped neighbour, you didn't need to lock your doors because there was nothing to steal. Those who 'had' were few, most people were 'have nots'.

There was also very little mobility , most people stayed in the area in which they were born so everyone knew everyone else, you couldn't put a foot out of place without the whole community knowing about it .
True Meg but that does not excuse them, there is no excuse for these criminals. There is no excuse. It is not always the havenots A while ago it was the son of a wealthy man who was in court.

I do think water canon should be deployed. Our country is in enough economic trouble, this can only add to it. The authorities should be able to use all means available to take the streets of our country back.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Get rid of all the social networking sites, they are more trouble than they are worth. I for one would never join any of them especially Facebook. If you want to contact someone whats wrong with e-mail or the telephone. Works for me.

Errrrmmmm excuse me Dog lover, but isn't this a social networking site and isn't your remark about them a tad hypocritical???
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

09-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
I think there should be a media blackout as in my opinion it is the reports from the media that help to spread anything that happens creating copy cat happenings in other parts of the country.
Shut down Twitter, that has caused more problems for people than anything else lately.
Makes a lot of sense AB especially about Twitter and Facebook.
Reporting on the current situation and by doing so alerting people as to where not to go for safety reasons is one thing, however when they wheel out people like Darcus Howe it can only serve to create more tension.

The campaigning polemic was given airtime this morning on News24, in a very short space of time he maliciously, in my opinion, said that the police had shot Mark Duggan in the face and "blown his head off", it has been widely reported that the PM showed that Mr Duggan died as a result of a single shot to the chest. He went on to rant about the level of 'stop and search' being waged against the black community and various other accusations were thrown about until he was taken off.

Everyone has a right to speak but these type of interviews serve no purpose other that to exacerbate an already terrible situation.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Errrrmmmm excuse me Dog lover, but isn't this a social networking site and isn't your remark about them a tad hypocritical???
No this is a discussion forum run by private individuals with concern for security not the huge animal FB is. No comparison. Sorry. I would never trust FB as long as I live.
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.

09-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
No this is a discussion forum run by private individuals with concern for security not the huge animal FB is. No comparison. Sorry. I would never trust FB as long as I live.
I'm with you there DL.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 03:55 PM

I join DL and Nuttygran there! The internet is wonderful for getting people together, but the dark side is that it also gets people together for BAD things ........

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top