Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 08:36 PM

Re: Old wives tales

It always amuses me when the bushes...holly in particular...are thick with berries, that some bright spark will announce a harsh winter is on the way...er no!

Plants are not able to forsee the future any more than we are. They are however announcing that they have had an ideal spring and summer....hence the berries.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 08:50 PM

Opals are ok if they're with garnets.
I have an opal and sapphire ring, I'm not sure if the sapphire works the same as a garnet.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Funny Longdog I was always told never pick up s knife you dropped or it will mean a disappointment. My MIL never believed in changing an item of clothing if you put it on wrong [ i.e inside out],as it brought bad luck.Ive done this many times ,cant say if its brought bad luck or not.My Mum didnt like crossed knives, led to arguments, I still dont like to see knives crossed
I remember the one about the inside out clothes too. what's strange is that although I know it's a load of rubbish, it still crosses my mind when it happens.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 09:37 AM

My Nan used to turn her mirrors around and put all cutlery away if there was a lightning storm. I suppose I can see some sense in that.

Then there was throwing salt over your shoulder for good luck.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 11:14 AM

I was so busy looking for the second magpie, I walked into a lamp post.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't know about Opals, but Mum used to say Pearls bring tears.
Ooohh that one may be true. The Christmas before my girlfriend, supposed soulmate, ha, sorry do i sound bitter, split up I bought her a set of fresh water pearls. I saw them in the jeweller's window and thought that the unusual shapes and cream and pink colour were really beautiful compared to the normal pearls. Just goes to show
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Then there was throwing salt over your shoulder for good luck.
I thought you did that to blind the devil - who is always at your left shoulder !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-07-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I thought you did that to blind the devil - who is always at your left shoulder !
I've never heard that version.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I've never heard that version.
You obviously didn't have my good catholic upbringing !!

How about - itchy hands - right to receive money or left to lose money.

Itchy feet - going to walk on strange ground.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 01:14 PM

Opals ... I think you have to keep them away from water or they lose their brightness and look milky.

Maybe that's why they're supposed to be unlucky.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top