Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2016, 10:23 AM

Re: David Cameron

Very difficult. We used to invite men along to sit in. Some actually came, but not many. Cameron is talking about spouses who are coming to join husbands. Stop them being full citizens if they don't comply. The men might have a change of heart if they thought this would actually happen. Something has to be done.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by countrygirl ->
Very difficult. We used to invite men along to sit in. Some actually came, but not many. Cameron is talking about spouses who are coming to join husbands. Stop them being full citizens if they don't comply. The men might have a change of heart if they thought this would actually happen. Something has to be done.
I see. I do agree with you in principle... I didn't realise it won't apply to the poor women who are stuck inside.
Years ago when I taught in Balsall Heath Birmingham, we had English lessons after school for some of the mums, but lots didn't come because they weren't allowed to. Criminal.

THAT is what needs addressing in my opinion, the fact that in this age a man and his sons can keep the mother/wife a virtual prisoner.
THAT is what the politicians should be changing!!

A Citizens' Charter?
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2016, 10:37 AM

There are women in Staffordshire who have lived here for forty years and still speak hardly any English, and not because they are unwilling to learn. They are simply not allowed to. It is criminal. We have to break through this enforced isolation of women. When I was teaching GCSE English I taught girls who quite openly discussed the fact that they were waiting arranged marriages; some quite happily, others not so.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2016, 10:52 AM

What is TEFL?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
What is TEFL?
Teaching English as a Foreign Language.
Teaching English to students whose first language is not English
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

20-01-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by countrygirl ->
There are women in Staffordshire who have lived here for forty years and still speak hardly any English, and not because they are unwilling to learn. They are simply not allowed to. It is criminal. We have to break through this enforced isolation of women. When I was teaching GCSE English I taught girls who quite openly discussed the fact that they were waiting arranged marriages; some quite happily, others not so.
If our useless governments could only break through this barrier then all the breast beating about integration wouldn't be so necessary.
If the WOMEN could only integrate the rest would follow?
countrygirl
West Midlands

20-01-2016, 06:13 PM

Some of those who are hostile to Muslims living in our country use the fact that many (mostly women) don't speak English as one of the weapons with which to underline their case. If this initiative proved to be successful it might go some of the way towards integration.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2016, 06:25 PM

Nah, the hostility would continue after the goalposts were moved.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top