Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Re: Upstairs neighbor problems, how should I handle it?

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Many renters and owners of flats have dogs - got two myself. So not sure where you got the idea dogs are not allowed in flats from ?
I lived in a high-rise block of flats in Birmingham for a couple of years and dogs were banned and, from what I remember, it was pretty much across the city - cats were fine but no dogs; probably something to do with them not having ready access to exercise and, of course, the risk of barking but it was definitely in the tenancy agreement with Birmingham City Council.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 12:34 PM

Odd the rescues we got Mollie and the late Duncan from prefer rehoming to flats as they know flat dwellers will take the dogs for proper walks and not just leave them to run around the garden. We are in a council shared ownership property as long as the dogs are not a nuisance they don't mind us having dogs. Actually dogs are less problem than cats in flats.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Well, I am going back over 30 years ago so things may have changed since then - it makes sense to me for a dog to have a garden.

I'm curious about why you feel that cats are more of a problem in flats?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 12:45 PM

I think communal grounds cause cats to fight more, or they get kept in all the time also wading through cat poo isn't pleasant when you want to wander around the gardens. We were all given a small plot to grow veggies 4 years ago it lasted 2 years before no one was doing it any more and it was cats poo that had put everyone off.

I have had dogs here two and three at a time since 1989 and previously in our last flat for another 3 years, they all have been happy and as healthy as any other dog, walked 3 times a day (ones who could be). So I will disagree about needing a garden but when we go to the caravan where we do have a garden I can see how much easier it is for the owners of the dogs to have one.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

14-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think communal grounds cause cats to fight more,
Ah, I hadn't thought of that

also wading through cat poo isn't pleasant when you want to wander around the gardens. We were all given a small plot to grow veggies 4 years ago it lasted 2 years before no one was doing it any more and it was cats poo that had put everyone off.
Yes, that can be a problem and I've had that problem with neighbours cats digging up my flower beds to use as a toilet! Thankfully, with dogs around, cats seem not to want to linger long in the garden

I have had dogs here two and three at a time since 1989 and previously in our last flat for another 3 years, they all have been happy and as healthy as any other dog, walked 3 times a day (ones who could be). So I will disagree about needing a garden but when we go to the caravan where we do have a garden I can see how much easier it is for the owners of the dogs to have one.
There will always be good and bad pet owners and I think the ruling came in to protect dogs from owners who wouldn't bother to walk them enough. I used to know a chap who did property maintenance for the Council (he would go in a renovate a place once the tenants had moved out) and a large part of his work was cleaning up the mess caused by pets (I don't mean just literally mess but damage as well).
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 02:54 PM

There are things you can do, there are Dog Laws in the UK. here's a Link you may find useful. Also get in touch with your local Dog Warden through your Council...They will gather the evidence and then confront the owners. They can be slapped with a heafty fine, even made to rehome the dogs if the Wardens think it's better for the dogs. We actually had a Dog Warden visit our Dog Training Club last week and she told us a lot, including how to complain and the outcome of the actions. I'm sure there must be something along the same lines in your Country. Here is the link.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/9308/law.pdf
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 02:25 PM

Barking dogs can be a problem in semi detached properties, and also neighbouring non attached properties if the dogs are left outside. Some dogs will bark and whine when their owners are out, but not otherwise.

Can you put an electronic deterrent trained along path used as a toilet?

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top