Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 07:33 PM

Re: Growing Old!

I agree with you Mags, and think she has a lonely life being looked after by carer, where are her family.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2012, 04:08 PM

I think I am getting old ....I sat to watch a film I had never seen ...really enjoying it till the last 5 minutes ...the I remembered the ending ...doh
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2012, 04:31 PM

A sad thing happened the other day.
A lady I know who lives up the road, had until recently gone for a walk each day to fetch her papers. She would often meet up with three or four gentlemen and they would all amble to the paper-shop and back. The other day, she was trying to get into our neighbour's car, wearing her dressing gown and slippers. Before I could go out to her, two people came to take her back home. One was wearing a nurses uniform.
That's the sort of thing that worries me, will I do that? I hope to goodness I don't
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Some years ago, late of an evening in the depths of winter, on my way home from a meeting, I came across a little old lady in dressing gown and slippers out in the bitter cold. She couldn't remember her name or her address. Had to call the Police and an ambulance to take her to hospital. Never did find out who she was or where she lived.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 02:12 PM

When I arrived at retirement age I realized that everyone was jealous. They all call you "lucky". Luck has nothing to do with it. Age happens. You're "lucky" if you got smart in time to prepare for retirement. So many are ill prepared and then must continue working until they think they have enough resources to retire. Sadly they realize that by that time they're too old and decrepit to enjoy their nest-egg. The doctors and lawyers are most likely to devour all their estate long before they will.

We suddenly arrive at a point where the most important thing we have and control is our health. Hopefully, we're not forced into retirement by ill health. it's amazing how the buzzards start circling around you when they think you're about to croak and leave them your estate.

My biggest concern was time. I live alone and like it that way. I needed to find ways to entertain myself with all that extra time we have after retirement. My hobbies evolved because the physical ones will fade away with your youthful vigor. I went from a fire-breathing Triumph Rocket III 2,300cc motorcycle to a 250cc Piaggio scooter. I ride the same distances at the same speeds on my scooter but I don't have to fight a 1,000 pound behemoth that I couldn't pick up if I dropped it. My BV250 will do interstate speeds while getting 72 MPG.

It's funny the patterns you find yourself in after retirement. Those funny gatherings of oldsters you swore you'd never join are now your best friends. You have a lot in common, one of which is to get the heck out of your home to mingle in public. You get good advice, sharing what you know to help the group. You offer rides where they are needed, exchange books, movies and old tales. You bring in coupons to share with everyone on Tuesdays & Wednesdays. It's fun!

So life goes on, filled with new adventures, new friends, new experiences. You read a lot more, laugh a lot more and smile a lot more than when you were stuck in rush hour commuting between your job. Now every day is a three day weekend, a holiday. You shop where there are no crowds, get the best doctor, dentist & mechanic appointment and relax as you catch up with letter writing on your iPad.
derek davies
Buckinghamshire
derek davies is male 

01-04-2012, 02:58 PM

I've stopped buying green bananas!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by derek davies ->
I've stopped buying green bananas!
Fair play to you D.D.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 07:17 PM

We non of us know what will happen to us towards the end, but please God take me in my sleep.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 07:42 PM

I am NEVER NEVER going to get old ......OLDER maybe but never old ......
derek davies
Buckinghamshire
derek davies is male 

01-04-2012, 08:43 PM

I am in advanced middle-age

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top