Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

30-03-2012, 12:22 PM

Re: Hard of Hearing

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
My point is that's it's dangerous to drive when you can't hear. It's dangerous for the driver, passengers and the rest of the people on the road near to them.
That simply is not the case, if it were I am certain the UK driving agencies would preclude all hearing impaired people from driving any kind of vehicle and they do not make any such restriction.

Up until I retired there were no statistics to support any theory that deaf people were more likely to have an accident than anyone else. I doubt that has changed in the years since.

What next? shall we seek to ban everyone because they are afflicted by a limp or perhaps even worse a bald spot ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 12:40 PM

My friend's husband was born profoundly deaf.
He is now in his 60's and has driven all his adult life without any problems

I would say deaf drivers may have better concentration because they are not distracted by chatter/noise.

Some young drivers have really loud music throbbing away while they drive, you can hear it on the outside of the car. I don't know how they can concentrate with so much noise going on.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 01:45 PM

Maybe they have Tinnitus, and need the noise of the thump thump!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Maybe they have Tinnitus, and need the noise of the thump thump!
Annie the culprits are usually young men, if they don't already have tinnitus they may well soon have it.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2012, 03:28 PM

I think you can guarantee a whole generation of deaf men in a few years, try telling them they are not to drive anymore.

Deafness is not classed as a driver disability.
As I said in my first post, there are videos with British Sign Language, of the driving test and people with sign will teach you to drive. All authorised and encouraged by DVLA, in fact you can have a translator assisted test.

Deaf drivers can use special devices that let them know when fire or ambulance sirens are wailing, though most don't bother. Deaf drivers are far more aware of what is going on around them than 'normal' motorists, and use their mirrors far more. They learn to feel the level of engine vibration for gear changing.

There is no need to notify DVLA of deafness until the age of 70 for cars or motorcycles.
All or most, of this information I gleaned from one of two Sainsbury's delivery drivers .. who are deaf!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
That simply is not the case, if it were I am certain the UK driving agencies would preclude all hearing impaired people from driving any kind of vehicle and they do not make any such restriction.

Up until I retired there were no statistics to support any theory that deaf people were more likely to have an accident than anyone else. I doubt that has changed in the years since.

What next? shall we seek to ban everyone because they are afflicted by a limp or perhaps even worse a bald spot ?
We're talking about one of our five senses missing here, not a bald spot. Not being able to hear sirens, whether they be police, fire, tornado or tsunami sirens is a distinct disadvantage to a vehicle operator. To deny this is ludicrous.

I'm not saying deaf folks don't drive or that they should be restricted from driving. It just apparent they have distinct handicaps in so doing.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

31-03-2012, 08:21 PM

We're talking about one of our five senses missing here, not a bald spot. Not being able to hear sirens, whether they be police, fire, tornado or tsunami sirens is a distinct disadvantage to a vehicle operator. To deny this is ludicrous.

I'm not saying deaf folks don't drive or that they should be restricted from driving. It just apparent they have distinct handicaps in so doing.
You actually said,
"My point is that's it's dangerous to drive when you can't hear. It's dangerous for the driver, passengers and the rest of the people on the road near to them".

That suggests to me that you are in effect saying they should not be allowed to drive at all, which is equally ludicrous.

As RTA investigations were a subject I was involved in most of my working life I would be really interested to see any recent evidence you have to suggest that a hearing impaired driver is statistically a danger to anyone.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2012, 08:37 PM

I'm going to leave this thread before I say something I'll regret.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

31-03-2012, 09:11 PM

I'm going to leave this thread before I say something I'll regret.
I am at a loss to understand why, it is a subject that is close to me because of the involvement I have with the alleged 'not 'so fortunate folks of all types in my area.

I was simply asking for the evidence of what you alleged, if that has upset you then of course I am sorry you feel this way. In hindsight, perhaps I do react a bit when some of my friends are labelled as a danger to all and sundry, but I apologise nevertheless.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

31-03-2012, 09:58 PM

I'm an American, not a Brit.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top