Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 10:39 PM

Re: Self isolation or social distancing?

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
NO NEED TO SHOUT. IT'S MOST RUDE.

It's not a Care Home.
Care homes have now stipulated no visitors.

I don't know how old you are but 70 isn't that old you know.
They're not gaga you know. Or decrepit imbeciles.
Some will choose to stay in their flats ... some will not. Rightly or wrongly that is the reality.

You can't stop visitors. Don't be ridiculous.
Retaining access for the carers has become the big problem ... would you seriously suggest an old lady or chap who struggles to wash themselves should sit stinking in their filth? Have heaps of washing piling up as the career isn't here to do it? The carer who is also buying them bits and pieces from the supermarkets with their own shopping and bringing it into them.

I'm afraid you see things too much in black and white with scant thought of the reality of it.

The same as rightly or wrongly, school kids, once kept in one place in school, which, frankly, is where I preferred them to be, will now be playing out in the streets and running around unsupervised.
How parents are supposed to explain social distancing to their children is beyond me.

It's a difficult situation and everyone is doing the best they can .. and so far, in the main Boris isn't doing too bad... and as for the rest of us, we're just using our commonsense and adjusting our own lives as best we can to weather this pretty horrible period.
I don't think there is anyone who hasn't had their life turned upside down in some way.
Rude to post in caps? But it's okay to walk around in ignorance and spread infection?

I'm not too far away from 70 and can imagine how very hard it is to self isolate - which is why I have set up a self-help group in my area for anyone to use......but mostly for the 70+ age group.

You CAN stop visitors and you MUST! Carers are considered to be essential front line workers and obviously get priority. Sadly family cannot visit..........and I really really sympathise at how very hard that will be!! Very many care homes are locked down and older people are dying without being able to see or talk to their loved ones. ............and that is =unimaginably tragic............ But it would surely be worse if saying goodbye infected those loved ones too??

YOU MUST see things in black and white and recognise the scant reality of this virus!!

Difficult situation? It's like living in a sci-fi movie wondering what the next horror will be...........look at the statistics!!! THOSE are the facts!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
If you have family in the house, you will eventually touch surfaces they have touched, including the Mother's Day present. This is the way the virus can be spread according to all reports.

Not if you washed your hands and didn't touch your face!!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I thought just the same as you Lindyloo altho to be honest I don’t know Carol and Tony’ age s
We are both 70 plus. I honestly thought we were allowed a choice - social distancing or self isolation.

I chose to take the slight risk as I couldn't bear to be away from family & friends for 4 long months.

If I am wrong and there is no choice then I shall have to self isolate whether I want to or not!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 11:53 PM

I cannot self isolate - I live alone ergo I have to go out to buy food. Yes, I have neighbours who have volunteered to shop for me but then how do I pay them? I would still need to go out to draw cash.

Also - we need fresh air, exercise and daylight to top up our Vit D levels to stay healthy.

What I am doing is, I suppose, social distancing. I take my walks about 5:30am - the air is reasonably unpolluted and there is no-one about. If, and only if, I need shopping - I go to Sainsbury's for 7:00am. Again - not many people around, I keep my distance from those who are and, as it is a two mile walk round trip, it gives me daylight and exercise.

I am fortunate in that I have a robust immune system and have no underlying health issues.

Am being scrupulous about washing hands and what I touch - and using logic and common sense to continue to enjoy life as much as I can.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

22-03-2020, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

If, and only if, I need shopping - I go to Sainsbury's for 7:00am. Again - not many people around, I keep my distance from those who are and, as it is a two mile walk round trip, it gives me daylight and exercise.
Can you get fresh fruit/veg if you go at that time SD? I just assumed the deliveries came later in the day.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 12:10 AM

My daughter has just finished her shift at an M&S Food Only store. Several customers asked her to use the touch screen for them since they were scared of contamination (my daughter had cleaned the screens several times throughout the day, but not after every customer as it'd be impractical to do so). Entirely reasonable, although it does put shop workers at additional risk, and hence anyone they subsequently meet.

The "key workers" are, by definition, more likely to become infected and pass it onto family and friends,, and hence other key workers.

We can't stop this.

What are we waiting for? Long term financial ruin as a country/civilisation.

Perhaps we should just accept the que sera sera scenario and just get on with it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Can you get fresh fruit/veg if you go at that time SD? I just assumed the deliveries came later in the day.
The supermarkets have been allowed to have deliveries through the night now so - yes - there is fresh veg in Sainsbury's at that time. There was not a lot of fruit this morning - probably because, at this time of year, most of it is imported. But there was a goodly supply of cauliflower/broccoli/carrots/onions/potatoes etc. mostly from Yorks/Lincs. They also had pasta and rice but no flour, lentils or barley.

They even had plenty of loo rolls but, would you believe it, some people were complaining because it was only 2ply!!
Surely that is better than nothing?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 12:19 AM

Self isolating no problem, stay in your pyjamas, drink gin and eat Doritos.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Rude to post in caps? But it's okay to walk around in ignorance and spread infection?
Sorry but I didn't bother to read the rest of your post after that.
You're far too militant and aggressive for me, which might be ideal qualities of character to have if you've formed a militia type self-help group in your area.

Good luck and keep well during the current crisis.
Try not to scare the beneficiaries of your goodwill with panicky scaremongering.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The supermarkets have been allowed to have deliveries through the night now so - yes - there is fresh veg in Sainsbury's at that time. There was not a lot of fruit this morning - probably because, at this time of year, most of it is imported. But there was a goodly supply of cauliflower/broccoli/carrots/onions/potatoes etc. mostly from Yorks/Lincs. They also had pasta and rice but no flour, lentils or barley.

They even had plenty of loo rolls but, would you believe it, some people were complaining because it was only 2ply!!
Surely that is better than nothing?
Re the loo rolls, dear me , I always use 2 ply .

Sainsburys new opening times 8 a.m - 8 pm from Monday to Saturday commencing the 23rd .
Elderly ,disabled and vulnerable allowed in during the first hour Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays on presentation of ID .

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top