Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2011, 04:27 PM

Re: Rocky is Back

Your friend told you truly, Mollie, they do indeed chew thru soffit boards to get inside: happened to me and to my neighbor; quite expensive to repair. They also dig up and eat the majority of Autumn planted bulbs, eat tomatoes just as you were almost ready to pick them, uproot newly planted plants, bury nuts in pots thereby dislodging the contents, devour your birdseed, chew holes thru the new "squirrelproof" feeder ...... I can go on and on, but will end the rant. They are tree rats, and a plague in the City as they have no natural enemies and multiply like the rodents they are .....aaargh!!!!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Your friend told you truly, Mollie, they do indeed chew thru soffit boards to get inside: happened to me and to my neighbor; quite expensive to repair. They also dig up and eat the majority of Autumn planted bulbs, eat tomatoes just as you were almost ready to pick them, uproot newly planted plants, bury nuts in pots thereby dislodging the contents, devour your birdseed, chew holes thru the new "squirrelproof" feeder ...... I can go on and on, but will end the rant. They are tree rats, and a plague in the City as they have no natural enemies and multiply like the rodents they are .....aaargh!!!!!
They are cute to look at though!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
They are cute to look at though!
Peel those fluffy tails and they'll look like the rats they are ......(I am NOT obsessed, truly! )
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Were you able to get any photos of the chipmunks, Bob? If so, I would love to see them, please I think they are similar to a squirrel but a lot smaller, aren't they?
Chipmunks are totally different with short stubble tails and a stripe down their back. I check to see if I got any.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
Chipmunks are totally different with short stubble tails and a stripe down their back. I check to see if I got any.
I appear to be thinking of a different animal
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

08-10-2011, 06:16 PM

Chipmunks are very cute, Mags, shy little things, you rarely see them. Yes, much smaller than a squirrel.

Here's a pic from Google till Bob finds his ......

bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2011, 06:50 PM

I didn't keep my chipmunk pic.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

08-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Awwwwww .........
Marie Rachel
Phila Pa
Marie Rachel is female  Marie Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2011, 01:14 PM

Nice photos! Where I used to live (in a very busy neighborhood of Phila) the squirrels used to come up to you and take peanuts from your hand and place their little "hand" on yours to take it. So much fun to feed them. Where I live now, in the burbs of the city, they run away and aren't used to people at all. I miss feeding them. I make them peanut butter crackers around my backyard, but they never get very close, ever. =/
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2011, 05:41 PM

We have five squirrels in our back garden and along with all the birds I could sit here all day smiling at their antics. Yesterday, horror of horrors I saw a HUGE rat out there. Today it is back and running around in broad daylight in the middle of the garden gathering food and scampering under the shed with it. It must have a few families under there to feed? (ugh).
Anyway, our old cat Sparky has always been a fiesty, cruel thing where wildlife is concerned but he doesn't give a damn now and prefers to sleep on the bed. So ......... I scraped him off my bed, carried him out to the garden and the rat saw him and froze on the spot. He watched Sparky saunter round to the side cat door and then carried on gathering. Carried Sparky right down to the bottom of the garden this time, shoved his head into the gap where the rat goes and I walked back and watched. Sparky was interested this time, tail swaying low and crouching. Then strolled nonchalantly (sp) back, passed me and back onto the bed.
So ........... how do I get rid of rats and keep my squirrels?
If Eileen is reading this I know exactly what her answer will be

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top