Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 10:38 PM

Re: The school prom

Originally Posted by carol ->
I know there wasn't anything like that in our day - but I wish there had been.

I would have loved it.
Carol, l am with you on this one! I love parties, so this would have been right up my street!

Again, a few of us on this thread are living in the past. (Said nicely!)
What the heck about how much it’s going to cost! After all, for many of us, our school days were the best times of our lives.

I think it’s lovely for the young people to dress up, the girls in their lovely dresses and the boys in their suits, all having fun.

Honestly, l think it’s great!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 12:04 AM

Except they won't all be having fun.
There will be ones left out and made to feel bad about themselves .
Especially if they feel pressure to have a "date " or the best clothles or to be seen to be popular .
And how tacky are limousines !
For some teenagers it will be nightmare .
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 12:53 AM

Exactly.Teenage years are tricky enough as it is.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Especially if they feel pressure to have a "date " or the best clothles or to be seen to be popular .
Exactly .....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Sorry, long:

Yes, there will be, Muddy, and that's very empathetic of you . My daughter was one of ones left out prom night - too ill to go - swollen from prednisone, IV in her arm, feeding tube in her belly, barely talking, and frighteningly thin. I was happy for one twin, and heartbroken for the other.

My son offered to take her but she was just too weak, and she wouldn't have wanted to be seen. He then offered not to go, but there was no way I would want him to miss out on such a lovely evening despite my daughter not being able to attend. It wouldn't have been right. I talked to my daughter many times about it, and did my level best to make the evening special anyway (movie, nails, banana splits) with reassurances that one day, her time would come. As a matter of fact, she will be wearing her first evening gown on an upcoming cruise . (I think I am happier about it than she is.)

Consignments and donations solve the problem of evening gowns; they are swapped with those in nearby towns so the girls won't run into their gowns again - and yes, some do wear pants ensembles. I don't know any girl who paid anything near £1,000 - that figure is extraordinarily exaggerated. Boys can rent tuxedos or suits, and though not as costly as buying we have donations for rentals. We also have people who donate for flowers and hair. Many kids go solo, with friends, or with groups. There's no rule that you have to have a date and there's no rule that you have to go.

My daughter didn't attend because of distance, but the major university hospital where she was treated holds an annual a prom for their more chronic and hospitalized patients. No one has dates, everything is donated, and boys and girls from the local high schools and colleges volunteer to come too. The reports are that it's an extraordinary night for for those patients. There are a lot of tears - mostly from happy parents.

As for the limousines, I agree, and that was a no go at our house and for most of the kids at my son's school. My son drove his own car (though he could have driven ours) and it was just wonderful watching him spend most of the morning washing, waxing, and cleaning it to perfection to impress his date. Not quite a glass carriage, but I think he felt more like a man driving his own car.

Life isn't fair and sometimes it can be downright excruciating, but it can be stratospherically wonderful too. There were lots of mixed feelings on prom night at our house, but thankfully, we all have our moments in the sun.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 07:41 AM

What's the pint of it?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:21 AM

Yet another import from America and an expensive one at that. Perhaps also in some cases indicative of some of the excesses of today and the world we appear to live in. Dresses or outfits that, in some cases I feel sure, parents struggle to afford but do so in order not to let their youngsters down when compared to their peers.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top