Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Re: Would you move house?

We moved house earlier this month the immediately went on holiday for two weeks. Now heavily involved with unpacking, building furniture and enjoying waking up to horses and ponies in the fields outside my bedroom window. Life is good.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 01:51 AM

Adanac, welcome. What an interesting lifestyle. I haven't seen this kind of setup before. How do you prevent damage to plumbing during the winter months when you are away?

Swimfeeders, how exciting! I have one likely major move left in me, so I consider this quite often. I am in agreement that you might want to "test drive" a few locations. If this is what you have dreamed of, at the very least, you should put your idear through the rigors of putting together a plan.

Moving to the coast from a landlocked area was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I am not only happier but healthier because of all of the outdoor activities and milder weather that makes all those diversions possible. While I am unsure of the situation in the UK, coastal communities are generally more expensive in general because of the higher prices - something to consider

If nothing else, it's wonderful just to think through....though I know you would miss your little honorary grandkids.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 02:41 AM

Hi

Thanks for all the comments.

I know the area quite well, I spent some there, winter and summer, after I took early retirement.

A big decision, I will ponder.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 08:47 AM

Swim you need to decide what you need most and make sure a new area will provide it.
From things you have posted, I suspect may need to be close to healthcare and, you may enjoy fishing, but you won't make many new friends doing that.
Your Polish friends won't be living close by and your pretend grandchildren will not be there to entertain you.
You hardly see any of your family , so you need to consider whether you will be lonely if you move to somewhere on your own. It is easy to be independent when you can look after yourself, but breaking my wrist demonstrated to me that sometimes we all need somebody that can help, when things go wrong...and it is unlikely that strangers will offer that help!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 09:24 AM

I would be very wary about moving away from friends and neighbours, it's not easy making new friends as you get older and integrating into a new community. You always speak with affection about the village where you live swims why not downsize (if that's what you are doing) locally.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Swim you need to decide what you need most and make sure a new area will provide it.
From things you have posted, I suspect may need to be close to healthcare and, you may enjoy fishing, but you won't make many new friends doing that.
Your Polish friends won't be living close by and your pretend grandchildren will not be there to entertain you.
You hardly see any of your family , so you need to consider whether you will be lonely if you move to somewhere on your own. It is easy to be independent when you can look after yourself, but breaking my wrist demonstrated to me that sometimes we all need somebody that can help, when things go wrong...and it is unlikely that strangers will offer that help!
Hi

I appreciate your comments Twink.

Healthcare is one reason I am seriously thinking about moving, it is appalling here and it was the hospital infection which caused the issues over the last couple of years.

I simply do not trust the two big local hospitals.

You will be amazed how many friends you make fishing, just join a couple of clubs.

Fishing an evening on the Mumbles car park, lots of people stop for a chat.

I will have my little dog, another great way of meeting people.

Littlies soon grow up, another 3 years and they will at big school, different interests, so I will inevitably be seeing less of them.

I am thinking 10 years ahead, being stuck in a village with minimal public transport is not good, people tend to vegetate, I do not intend that to happen to me.

I want to be in a town with many more facilities and easy access to the shops, coffee bars etc.

I will think about it for a while, give myself until Easter to make a decision.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 11:34 AM

Twink, sorry about your broken wrist. I tore a tendon in my shoulder the day my home sold but did not know it till after I signed the papers for the sale.

I guess I was lucky when I moved as people knowing my situation rushed to help and I made many new friends rather quickly. This was thanks to the lady we bought the place from letting them know.

Surfermom, asked about how to handle the winter months with a seasonal, a man comes in and drains the waterlines and puts anti freeze in the lines. Many people who live in Canada go south for the winter to Florida in the USA and call themselves Snowbirds.

Swimfeeders, whatever you decide, the best of luck.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 11:50 AM

The very thought of moving would fill me with dread! Is it any wonder it’s high on the ‘Stress’ list, even higher than divorce!

Although, you might be downsizing, you would just be shifting your existing problems to another place.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 12:03 PM

I always wanted to end my days by the sea as well, so I can understand that Swim.
For me it was always going to be Cornwall, or in later years - somewhere in Norfolk.
Part of me still wants to go, but another part says 'do I really want all the upheaval all over again?' All the viewings, solicitors, estate agents, the packing up would be a nightmare, unsettling the dogs again etc, and all for a home among total strangers.

Would you still see your Polish friends in Wales?
The children might well be growing up fast, but what about the Polish adults, wouldn't you miss them?
Who are you always saying looks after you when you are not well, and who would do that in Wales?

Have you looked in to getting your dog yet? Didn't you say ages back you were turned down because of your age? Many others are finding the same problem because of age. If you are unable to walk much any more, how would you exercise this dog? The rescues usually ask things like that.
Who would look after it if you were back in hospital?

If you are unhappy where you are, move by all means, but think it through carefully, and as others have said, have a couple of holidays there first.

And as for healthcare, I think most NHS hospitals and GP's are struggling
now, and I believe it will get worse, no matter where you go. So make sure you aren't going from the frying pan into the fire.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
The very thought of moving would fill me with dread! Is it any wonder it’s high on the ‘Stress’ list, even higher than divorce!

Although, you might be downsizing, you would just be shifting your existing problems to another place.
I have moved about fifteen times, the last was five years ago at the age of 74. So moving holds no fear for me. Nowhere ever feels like "home" certainly not here, I would move at the drop of a hat if not for my health issues. As it is, I am stuck with it.

If one is fit enough, follow your heart.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top