Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 09:18 AM

Re: Food Prices

I do all of my shopping at Lidl's and have noticed over the last few weeks how prices have increased and also sizes reduced. i never shop anywhere else and if they dont have the product I want, then I do without.

Living alone, the BOGOF items in the big supermarkets are of no use to me, they aim their product offers at families, not pensioners on a limited budget. I cannot remember when I last bought a joint of meat and live on chicken, frozen fish, mince and pork chops.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I do all of my shopping at Lidl's and have noticed over the last few weeks how prices have increased and also sizes reduced. i never shop anywhere else and if they dont have the product I want, then I do without.

Living alone, the BOGOF items in the big supermarkets are of no use to me, they aim their product offers at families, not pensioners on a limited budget. I cannot remember when I last bought a joint of meat and live on chicken, frozen fish, mince and pork chops.
I'd never buy a joint, and buy packaged sliced meat where possible, like roast beef and pork. I also eat a lot of chicken, and will get the frozen turkey breast roast that costs about £2.50 and tastes delicious. As for lamb, it'd be a shank (bought if I see a bargain), or chops. And minced beef, for making spag bol or meat loaf.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I expect most who are struggling already know how to source and prepare cheap food.
We're not fighting a war, this is a problem of our own making. When I say "our" I mean those who didn't have any plan or thought for the consequences.
The wealthy, as in wartime, will not be affected as much as the rest of us.

TessA, Can l just ask you, How much do you live on a week as you are always saying, how poor you are?
I didn't make any provision for my future as l thought l would be married for the rest of my life!
I live on a state pension of £160 a week. I don't get any extra benefits! My Council Tax is high and eats up most of my monthly pension but l eat well by spending wisely.

I grow runner beans and tomatoes. Various soft fruits and have apple, pear and plum trees that provide seasonal fruit.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 09:39 AM

I'll often buy bogofs even if I can't use them, they go in the freezer or I give to old lady lives alone down stairs, she won't buy eg strawberries as she's alone so I bought two punters bogof and gave her half a punnet. Enough so she has a treat but not so much she feels embarrassed or pitied.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
TessA, Can l just ask you, How much do you live on a week as you are always saying, how poor you are?
I didn't make any provision for my future as l thought l would be married for the rest of my life!
I live on a state pension of £160 a week. I don't get any extra benefits! My Council Tax is high and eats up most of my monthly pension but l eat well by spending wisely.
Shouldn't you get single persons council tax credit ? Might be worth looking into art, it makes a difference.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->

Hi

Yes, I use Lidl and they have stopped selling parsnips these last few weeks.

Unfortunately many cannot grow their own and I have limited space myself.

When we go to WTO Rules, which some want, the walk away Hard Brexit, the highest tariffs are on agricultural products, an average of 22%.

We cannot produce all the food we need, that is just a simple fact of life.

We certainly cannot produce some things all year round, so there will be big changes to come.

Personally I think that this is the main reason the Government are backtracking and going for a Transitional Agreement.

Joe Public will not be happy with expensive food, it is a vote loser.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Shouldn't you get single persons council tax credit ? Might be worth looking into art, it makes a difference.
Yes l do, Julie.
Even with the discount, l pay almost, £200 a month.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 10:09 AM

Yes l do, Julie.

For about three years I paid £5.00 per month, then couple of years ago Council increased it to £6.00. Since April, apparently because of yet another change in regulations, I don't pay anything.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 10:16 AM

I don't find food particularly expensive and I'm just on a state pension...Last week I bought a rump steak and made a pig of myself...first steak in four years! Today back to the belly pork and veg.or an omelette, I'm far from starving.

In the supermarkets I see young women filling trollies with expensive junk for the kids...they want to learn to cook like the girls did in the old days.

I do my own baking and make sure the oven is as full as possible with the price of gas...flour is cheap enough. And if you can't bake....go to nightschool.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-07-2017, 10:19 AM

Yes l do, Julie.
Hate to say but that doesn't sound too bad ours is nearly £500 ! The 25 percent single discount here you'd pay a lot more than £200 a month.

I'm not ever sure council taxes are fair I'd like to see a local income tax. That way you'd only pay on what you have coming in.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top