Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 05:57 PM

Re: Make time for a Siesta.

I can't have a nap in the afternoon, I'd never get to sleep at night. Bad enough trying to get to sleep then as it is.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 01:15 AM

Re: Make time for a Siesta.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
An organization called "The Health in Ageing Foundation" carried out a study of 3,000 Chinese adults aged 65 and over, 60% of whom took a nap after lunch of between 30 - 90 minutes.

After their sleep they had to answer questions, solve maths problems and memorize certain words.

Interestingly, it turned out the ones who did best, were the ones who had a 1 hr. nap, in fact they performed up to six times better than those who slept for shorter or longer stints, or didn't sleep at all.

The Doctor there said "These people experienced the same decline in their mental abilities that a five-year increase in age would cause.
"Moderate nappers had better overall cognition than non-nappers or extended nappers."

So there you go, make time for a Siesta each day.
How very encouraging!

I have always (for as long as I remember) had a 'siesta'. When I was working, it would be when I got home. Now I'm retired, it can be whenever I feel like some shut-eye.

I never set any sort of alarm but, coincidentally with the numbers in your quote, my nap usually extends to about 75 minutes. That seems to be what my body naturally needs.

My wife speaks derisively about my 'siestas'. If she has one, it is usually for 20 minutes or less.

I think I should show her this post!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top