Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 11:11 PM

Re: Why are do gooders so irritating ?

I think dogooders have lots of compassion for refugees for example, and want to throw open the doors of their country to everyone but they lack the ability, or refuse to see, the consequences of their goodness.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Do-gooders are irritating because ...
As a rule their hearts are in the right place ...but they're often appallingly naïve and impractical.
If this is pointed out to them they then become aggressively moralistic and accuse their critics of not caring.
They can be a judgemental lot.
You've got them pegged, spot on.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
"Do-Gooders"? I'm more inclined to think of Nigel Chamberlain, Monica Lewinski, and Dian Fossey.
Sorry! I meant Neville Chamberlain, of course! Bloody spell-checker.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Do-gooders are irritating because ...
As a rule their hearts are in the right place ...but they're often appallingly naïve and impractical.
If this is pointed out to them they then become aggressively moralistic and accuse their critics of not caring.
They can be a judgemental lot.
As AO said spot on .
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 10:20 AM

You have to question the motives and integrity of those who spout on about what they have or are doing. Self aggrandizement comes to mind.

So many people do good, quietly and without fuss...and for me they are the real troopers who genuinely want to get things done.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 11:16 AM

I never found them to be irritating. But I believe people doing 'bad' have always been more successful than people trying to do good.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 01:11 PM

Trouble is do gooders even if they say nothing are implicitly rebuking us for the way we live our lives .
Also for many people there are limited ways to do good.
The main way people can do good is by donating money .
However it's far more exciting to be lets say a front line aid worker than just handing over money.
It the same with people who do bike rides and climb mountains for 'charity' . Yes it does highlight whatever charity they are doing it for but otherwise I couldn't care less if they ride to John o groats or Timbuctoo.
Why not just ask outright instead of asking for sponsorship .
Sponsor is just a word that means give money.
Which charities have to do as if you don't ask you don't get.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top