Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 03:00 PM

Re: Tour de whatever !

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am sick of Tour de france !

York City Council has taken leave of what few wits it had left - all the city flower tubs/beds/hanging baskets have been replanted with yellow flowers. There are bright yellow bicycles prominently attached to the city walls and buildings all over town. There is tee shirt shaped yellow bunting and french flags everywhere and some of our main streets now have name signs in french! Some streets are being closed from today until late on Sunday.

It must have cost untold thousands - and for what? A boring event that will pass through and be heading somewhere else in less than half a day. Total waste of tax payers money!
I agree totally ST, I detest the inconvenience forced on the majority for the brief, transient "pleasure" of a minority. The race will pass through and no-one will give the place a second thought just like the Olympic baton passed through. A completely banal sport for the benefit of no-one but the participants....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 05:13 PM

It gets worse - just heard we are to have a 'flying' visit from a Lancaster, Hurricane and Spitfire of the Battle of Britain memorial flight - which may certainly be more worth watching than a load of mad cyclists - but - what have the council done to promote this? Stuck a life size tacky plastic Hurricane on the roof of the Theatre Royal ! It looks like a giant Airfix kit.

Wouldn't it be wonderful now if the cyclists were so busy looking up at the aircraft that they all collided and ran over themselves!

Just kidding - wouldn't really want anyone to be hurt.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
It gets worse - just heard we are to have a 'flying' visit from a Lancaster, Hurricane and Spitfire of the Battle of Britain memorial flight - which may certainly be more worth watching than a load of mad cyclists - but - what have the council done to promote this? Stuck a life size plastic Hurricane on the roof of the Theatre Royal ! It looks like a giant Airfix kit.
Laughed my head off. ST,that is going one to far ,im all for prettying the town up ,but fly pass and with the Battle of Britain ? Whats that got to do with Yorkshire ,,Send in the Troops i say. Show the world we still got an army as well ,!!!
can you think of ought else we got to put on show?.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 05:31 PM

Hours of endless fun, stand by the road with a long stick and a handful of tacks.
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

04-07-2014, 06:04 PM

I quite agree that The Tour is far better kept in France, or at any rate mainland europe, as indeed do many if not the majorit,y of French people.

It simply isn't an English sort of thing, is it? For one thing, not only are the French really proud of the premier road cycle race in the world, they are also really proud of their country. Unlike the UK, they love the idea of the beautiful towns and countryside they value so highly being seen by the world in all its loveliness. A few hours disruption to traffic seems a small price for them to pay for that.

Setting aside the potential benefits to tourism, and local ecomomies, that the French towns are keen to compete for, clearly, the filthy roads, ugly towns and countryside, and of course the hostile and surly natives in the UK may not impress the rest of the world so favourably. So it might be best to avoid the UK altogether in future events.

Seriously?
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
On the radio this morning its estimated that it will be worth £100 million to the economy, anyhoo its down South so it will be worth nowt up here.
That's the first time I've heard that Yorkshire is 'down south'
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Laughed my head off. ST,that is going one to far ,im all for prettying the town up ,but fly pass and with the Battle of Britain ? Whats that got to do with Yorkshire ,,Send in the Troops i say. Show the world we still got an army as well ,!!!
can you think of ought else we got to put on show?.
Most of them are already there in Catterick!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
That's the first time I've heard that Yorkshire is 'down south'
When you live in Northumberland it is.
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

04-07-2014, 08:49 PM

Certainly the NE isn't really part of England, good grief. Foreign tourists who come for the tour might actually feel like visiting places further north than Yorkshire, like Durham Cathedral, for example.

English people should band together to prevent it. Gosh,what is the world coming to?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
On the radio this morning its estimated that it will be worth £100 million to the economy, anyhoo its down South so it will be worth nowt up here.
So it's the same old thing driving it the Nom - money!

We'll probably hear the kerching of tills all the way down here in rainy Milton Keynes!

Good Luck to Yorkshire with the Tour - it's raining there again too - innit!!

They closed off our "city" centre a while back for a bloody-silly bike race - caused absolute chaos because so much traffic actually goes through Milton Keynes to get to other places as we are alongside the M1 in places and the A5 thunders through MK, less than a mile from my home.

Also many of the main Bus Routes were suspended leaving hundreds unable to get out and about or to and from work for hours on end!

THAT was supposed to bring in wads of dosh to MK - it finally ended up as a huge loss - as per usual! stevmk2

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top