Join for free
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 06:13 AM

Re: Racist - I think so .....

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Gives her more fodder for her next show, Maybe.
Ridiculous ! The woman is a billionaire and retired from her show ..... She hardly needs publicity either .....
This was a clear cut case of racism and needed to be aired, I wont be going to that shop now - thats for sure .....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Would be interesting to hear her account, hope she did not lose her job.
She 'should' do .....but probably wont ....
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 06:43 AM

I did read the full story, the shop assistant did sound like one of those oh so clever I can be snottier than anyone else types; does anyone remember some years back it was the fashion for them to say "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!"? How many sales do you think they lost?

I did think that Oprah over reacted on the race thing but perhaps there was history amongst the coloured community.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Ridiculous ! The woman is a billionaire and retired from her show ..... She hardly needs publicity either .....
This was a clear cut case of racism and needed to be aired, I wont be going to that shop now - thats for sure .....
She maybe retired from the "Oprah Show", but is she retired from the Oprah Show.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Did the Shop Girl NOT recognize her and figure that a Black woman couldn't possibley afford a purse that expensive?
To be fair, if she went into the shop looking like she did in the photo I saw that accompanied this story, she did look a bit like a bag lady (I think they're called in America) - certainly not the well-groomed woman that has been seen on tv. I wouldn't have recognised her either to be honest no matter how she looked.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It doesn't matter who a customer is, it is not for a shop assistant to decide what someone can or can't afford to pay for an item .

I would have asked to see the manager had I been Ophra
I'm not saying it happened in this case but some designers don't want to see their merchandise being used by 'the wrong sort' - think of what happened to Burberry and BMW - I would imagine a lot of high-end producers don't want the same thing happening to their product.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-08-2013, 08:48 AM

Snobs - the bloomin lot of 'em ....
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 10:04 AM

Had to laugh at this story as I too went into a Swiss handbag shop called Louis V a few weeks ago on my jolly to France. Now I certainly couldn't
afford the 2k for a handbag I liked the look of BUT my DiL could. She also wasn't dressed to the 9's being pregnant and it was a boiling hot day
so didn't look couture or anything like that. The looks of some of the assistants there was something I could have taken photos of. My DiL didn't
buy anything after our wander around as she can get the same handbag she likes cheaper in a Louis V shop in France near where she lives. So I presume if they were like that towards Ophrah it might not have been colour just the way she looked, which has been mentioned on this thread earlier. My DiL has a lovely brown colour to her coming from Thailand, but there again, so did I as I love my suntan.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Snobs - the bloomin lot of 'em ....
Indeed I well remember a perfume designer once on a show years ago saying the price of perfume was to put off cleaners being able to afford to smell the same as their employers. Put me off buying his perfume completely but I did wonder why employers wouldn't prefer their cleaners to smell nice when they were working for them. Odd I thought.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Had to laugh at this story as I too went into a Swiss handbag shop called Louis V a few weeks ago on my jolly to France. Now I certainly couldn't
afford the 2k for a handbag I liked the look of BUT my DiL could. She also wasn't dressed to the 9's being pregnant and it was a boiling hot day
so didn't look couture or anything like that. The looks of some of the assistants there was something I could have taken photos of. My DiL didn't
buy anything after our wander around as she can get the same handbag she likes cheaper in a Louis V shop in France near where she lives. So I presume if they were like that towards Ophrah it might not have been colour just the way she looked, which has been mentioned on this thread earlier. My DiL has a lovely brown colour to her coming from Thailand, but there again, so did I as I love my suntan.
Liked your story Sandy - Racism or not, its discrimination in the end. But if people want to be a part of 'that' elite, they're just as bad .....

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top