Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Glen1962
Canada
Glen1962 is male  Glen1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 11:20 PM

Re: Upstairs neighbor problems, how should I handle it?

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I have to ask this (no offence intended) - why do you want to stay there so much? Is affordable property a problem in your area?
No offense taken. The rent is affordable, and I can't afford much more than I pay now.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

14-06-2013, 09:10 AM

I think two clear options have been spelt out - use the authorities which sound plausible or play them at their own game - unless you know someone with a black range rover and three guys in black glasses?
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Glen1962 ->
Thanks MKJ, I agree that those people will not get rid of their dogs, but they will most certainly move out before I do, and I will definitely have a talk with the landlord about no more dogs. I have two cats and they are clean and well behaved. I even like dogs, but I can't stand when the owners are irresponsible.
If you complain about the dogs, you to may have to move the cats out as well.
This is what a ban on animals in flats will do for sure.
Personally I would find somewhere to live, and when you give notice of quitting tell the landlord why, he might then ban animals.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

14-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Personally I would find somewhere to live, and when you give notice of quitting tell the landlord why, he might then ban animals.
NO - that's giving up - stay an fight either officially or unofficially!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
NO - that's giving up - stay an fight either officially or unofficially!
Don't agree with Davo, nothing worse than theneighbour from hell, it sometimes result in folks using violence.
Glen1962
Canada
Glen1962 is male  Glen1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
According to the Landlord And Tenant act where I live, a landlord cannot make a tenant give up a pet after he's given permission. As far as moving out is concerned, I'm not willing to move every time there is a problem. I believe in solving that problem. I don't solve problems with violence, and if someone get's violent with me, I'll defend myself and press charges.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 10:25 AM

According to the Landlord And Tenant act where I live, a landlord cannot make a tenant give up a pet after he's given permission. As far as moving out is concerned, I'm not willing to move every time there is a problem. I believe in solving that problem. I don't solve problems with violence, and if someone get's violent with me, I'll defend myself and press charges.
That's the bit that threw me in the first post - my fault for not checking where you're from; in Britain, dogs are not allowed in flats/apartments (as far as I'm aware that's still the case) for the sake of both the dog and other tenants.

I can understand you want to defend your rights but the worry is that it could end up in a tit-for-tat ongoing battle. that would wear anyone down eventually.

What about trying once more with your neighbours? Invite them for tea or something and try to build a kind of relationship with them so they are more amenable to how you feel about the way their lifestyle is impacting on you? Very often, the way to success is the slow road - a bit like 'slowly slowly catchee monkey'.
Glen1962
Canada

14-06-2013, 12:05 PM

That's the bit that threw me in the first post - my fault for not checking where you're from; in Britain, dogs are not allowed in flats/apartments (as far as I'm aware that's still the case) for the sake of both the dog and other tenants.

I can understand you want to defend your rights but the worry is that it could end up in a tit-for-tat ongoing battle. that would wear anyone down eventually.

What about trying once more with your neighbours? Invite them for tea or something and try to build a kind of relationship with them so they are more amenable to how you feel about the way their lifestyle is impacting on you? Very often, the way to success is the slow road - a bit like 'slowly slowly catchee monkey'.
As far as I'm concerned, I've already done my part in trying to be a good neighbor. I've cooperated with their wishes, I've given them things, and I've even shared in the yard work, and yet, when I've asked for simple courtesies, most of the time I get ridiculous excuses as to why I should put up with their actions. I asked the guy to leave the outside drain pipe on when he cuts the lawn because my basement suite would get water in it from the rain if he didn't, and he even argued about that! I had to put metal screws in it to keep it on. That's the problem with a lot of upstairs renters. They act like they own the place!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 12:11 PM

Many renters and owners of flats have dogs - got two myself. So not sure where you got the idea dogs are not allowed in flats from ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 12:29 PM

As far as I'm concerned, I've already done my part in trying to be a good neighbor. I've cooperated with their wishes, I've given them things, and I've even shared in the yard work, and yet, when I've asked for simple courtesies, most of the time I get ridiculous excuses as to why I should put up with their actions. I asked the guy to leave the outside drain pipe on when he cuts the lawn because my basement suite would get water in it from the rain if he didn't, and he even argued about that! I had to put metal screws in it to keep it on. That's the problem with a lot of upstairs renters. They act like they own the place!
If they are being that unreasonable, I don't know what to suggest. Why do neighbours have to be so unreasonable. I do wish you well and I hope you can sort it out without things becoming even more more unpleasant.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top