Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 01:32 PM

Re: Discussion Sites Banning People Unreasonably

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
..... a bunch of old folk chatting on a forum...

Having said all that, imo you would find it difficult to find better mods than the ones we have on here.
Er, mind your language young lady or you might find yourself banned. I'm not old. I'm only 64, barely entering middle age.

I do agree with your second point, though.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Twink, l don't agree with that bit!
Why should a jumped up, bossy and biased moderator drive a member off a site that they are supporting and enjoying?
Mainly because the site is free and the owner of the site has chosen that Mod! If we all paid a fee, to be a member, then they could have a democratic vote to decide if the mod is worthwhile.... but am sure we would all prefer a site that is free and where we have the very best mods like Meg and Mags.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Mainly because the site is free and the owner of the site has chosen that Mod! If we all paid a fee, to be a member, then they could have a democratic vote to decide if the mod is worthwhile.... but am sure we would all prefer a site that is free and where we have the very best mods like Meg and Mags.
I agree with you there, I may disagree with some decisions but the forum belongs to azz and he chooses the mods and for that reason I either accept those rules or leave. It's not a democracy and tbh I can't see them ever working in terms of forums.

Further thought it's also IMO ok for an owner to set the agenda if they want a left wing forum or a forum fights for equality of sexes etc that's absolutely fine by me again I accept or leave.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I suspect that may be the same site I used to visit and left for the same reason. I still regularly visit the very informative DIY sections, but refuse to even look in the general discussion section.

I'm proud to say that I have never been banned from any forum, presumably because I'm such a nice person.
Actually and I'm not saying you aren't a lovely man you know where to draw the line in a discussion I don't think I've ever seen you lose your temper no matter what anyone says to you. That's a big plus that will stop you being banned
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 02:07 PM

Almost every person who is banned thinks they were banned unreasonably

With regards to the mods here, neither Mags or Meg volunteered.... I roped them into it

I can also attest to Meg's account, she was banned from another forum and some of the members of my own forum PM'd me to say she shouldn't be allowed. I told them that we don't care what goes on other sites and we give everyone a fair chance.

Well, Meg turned out to be one of our most loyal and trusted members and is now a Supervisor on 3 forums I admin

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Ever been on other forums? I have, and been banned more times that I can remember over the years.
I do find this concerning. If you are getting banned on a lot of forums it might mean you are doing something that is warranting it.

Tbh, posts/threads like this usually get the alarm bells ringing as well :/

I also don't think this thread really adds anything of value to the forum and may encourage people to discuss their own (temp) bans they've had on this very forum - which is against our rules. So I'm closing the thread.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top