Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 09:16 PM

Re: Predicting a happy marriage or not

I think Julie's right, too! It's most probably just that the bride wants to get married (I mean, who doesn't? It's something that has regrettably passed me by.). Being able to call herself Mrs. She's had a wedding, the full works.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I think Julie's right, too! It's most probably just that the bride wants to get married (I mean, who doesn't? It's something that has regrettably passed me by.). Being able to call herself Mrs. She's had a wedding, the full works.

Well it sounds a bit hard Jazzi, but sadly, I do think there is some truth in that.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 10:11 PM

This reminded me of when I got Married for the first time.
I was aged 19 and my Wife 18 and pregnant at the time.
Before we went into the registry office my Uncle took me to one side and said to me.
'Kenneth.
Are you really sure you want to do this'?
You don't HAVE to you know, and if you have any doubts call this off now.'
I didn't listen to him and got Married.
I wish I had listened to my dear Uncle John.
We lasted 12 years in a very unhappy marriage made in hell!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 10:19 PM

I was only 18 when I wed first time too, Boozy.
I thought I was madly in love with him, wouldn't have married otherwise.
Had my son at 21, and we divorced when I was about 28.

We have always stayed friends though, all these years.
I am still very fond of him and if he wasn't so desperately ill now, I know he would always help if I was in trouble and vice versa.

I don't think either of us were bad people, I was just too young with little common sense. He was 9 years older than me.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I was only 18 when I wed first time too, Boozy.
I thought I was madly in love with him, wouldn't have married otherwise.
Had my son at 21, and we divorced when I was about 28.

We have always stayed friends though. I am still very fond of him and if he wasn't so desperately ill now, I know he would always help if I was in trouble and vice versa.

I don't think either of us were bad people, I was just too young with little common sense. He was 9 years older than me.
Thank you for what you say there Mups.
Well of course I had another Marriage after that which ended in divorce, but then I met my third Wife.
Third time lucky, and we celebrated our 21st Wedding Anniversary in July 2017.

So third time lucky!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 10:25 PM

Folks have to get stuff out of their system before they commit, the age don't matter. Imo.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 12:21 AM

I don't think it is possible to predict a happy marriage, but I think it is possible to reduce the possibility of having an unhappy marriage by getting to know your partner first.

I met my Lovely when she was eleven and I was twenty one. Gasp, shock, horror. She fancied me from day one, and I thought it was cute that she did.
Six years later she asked me out and I said yes.
We got to know each other, become friends, then close friends, then very close friends, then started dating, then fell in love proper.
Our parents never objected to our relationship so by the time we started dating we had the approval of both sets of parents, which helped.

Oh, she was also my cousin, but that is irrelevant.

We have been married for thirty four years and I regularly fall in love with her over and over again.

Of all the people I know that have had successful marriage, most have spent a long time getting to know their partner before marrying them.

It hasn't always worked, but in most cases it has resulted in a long term marriage and in many, such as my parents, grandparents, great uncles and great aunts, till death do they part.

Indeed, my granddad emigrated to Oz in 1919 at the age of 29 and sent for his fiancé, my grandmother who was a year older, in 1922. She had the wedding banns read on the boat on the way out and married my granddad in Perth the day after she landed.
Unfortunately it seems unusual nowadays for couples to commit to each other and wait no matter what before they wed.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I don't think it is possible to predict a happy marriage, but I think it is possible to reduce the possibility of having an unhappy marriage by getting to know your partner first.

I met my Lovely when she was eleven and I was twenty one. Gasp, shock, horror. She fancied me from day one, and I thought it was cute that she did.
Six years later she asked me out and I said yes.
We got to know each other, become friends, then close friends, then very close friends, then started daring, then fell in love proper.
Our parents never objected to our relationship so by the time we started dating we had the approval of both sets of parents, which helped.
Oh, she was also my cousin, but that is irrelevant.

Of all the people I know that have had successful marriage, most have spent a long time getting to know their partner before marrying them.

It hasn't always worked, but in most cases it has resulted in a long term marriage and in many, such as my parents, till death do they part.
Oh my lovely friend, please explain that your lovely wifey is NOT a cousin by blood. But purely by a second marriage.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Oh my lovely friend, please explain that your lovely wifey is NOT a cousin by blood. But purely by a second marriage.
It matters not whether we are cousins by being blood related or by marriage/adoption. The important thing here is that we got to know each other first for many years before falling in love and getting married.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

08-10-2017, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
It matters not whether we are cousins by being blood related or by marriage/adoption. The important thing here is that we got to know each other first for many years before falling in love and getting married.
So were you Kissin' Cousins then Fruitcake?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top