Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 11:13 PM

Re: Cat!

I second what ST said.
A friend's cat recently starting peeing inside anywhere and everywhere.
A trip to the vet showed she had a UTI.
The cat, not the friend!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 11:55 PM

I too clean my cats tray out when she's used it as they are fussy about smells and if their tray is dirty they will soil the floor area.
I've had several cats for more than 30 years and none have ever done any damage to furniture or paintwork, usually when they do so it's a sign of distress, they're not happy or upset about something.

I buy Asda or Morrisons litter which is easy to remove the soiled parts, it's no big deal if you love your pet.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 01:17 AM

We took in a stray at 6 months & he's now 4 years. We just use kiln dried shavings in his litter box because that's what I use around here for the other animals. Hes never soiled anything. I keep his nails trimmed but he was neutered.

Hormones will make any male animal (female too) behave in all kinds of negative ways. Spraying, aggressiveness, restlessness, etc. Is there any way your daughter's cat can be fixed? It helps the animal's nerves as well as the humans.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 06:58 AM

I think Tess said that he had been neutered, Autumn, but he is obviously not a happy puss.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 08:54 AM

Had cats all my life and I would second what has been said about the cat.
He is probably bored with your daughter being at work all day. You haven't
mentioned if your daughter plays with him when she gets home. He will be very lonely if by himself for long periods and then no one to play with. If he is young as you say his life has got nothing to occupy him, therefore, the naughty things like scratching etc. Just like a child. When my cats are younger we always have pieces of string to run after, chasing small balls and little mice toys with bells etc. If you want to get rid of the smell of a cat you can buy something called White Vinegar. It does smell like Vinegar for a while but soon fades and that will take the smell out of the carpet. I get mine from Wilkinsons if you have one near you. If she sees him scratching the settee a quick shout at him or a bang on the chair will eventually deter him from doing it. As mentioned a quiet area for his cat tray. Always take the pooh out after he has finished. Mine go out but come back to pooh from outside so I clean their tray out straight away and once a week as they pee mainly outside. Strange cats.
A cat will be loving and caring for its owner but you have to care and love them too.
It may be peeing on the carpet if its tray is dirty so once its kept clean that should stop. If the cat is peeing a lot then as mentioned it needs a vet to look at it and a chat with the Vet might help your daughter understand the cat.
I wouldn't be a person without my cats I have had so I hope your daughter can get on with him. They make you feel good.
Also if its an indoor cat she needs to grow some grass in a plant pot as cats like to eat a little grass when they have a stomach upset and also to bring up hair balls.. I have a flat scratching post and remember years ago making my own by getting a piece of wood and nailing a piece of carpet to it.
Good luck with the cat and hope you also can get on with him he doesn't understand the things you don't like about him.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tess ->
I didn't say that I wanted a picture perfect home.....far from it....but I don't want everything ripped to shreds either......so far he has destroyed 2 leather sofas which I've binned......the third one that he's ripped to shreds is still in daily use....I replaced the other leather sofa with a second hand fabric one as I couldn't afford to buy another leather one. He has clawed the door frame and wallpaper which I have patched up.....I'm no good at wallpapering but it's not too noticeable. It's this latest annoyance of toileting on the carpet that is really annoying me.....I guess I'll have to replace the carpet but what would be the point if he is going to do it again. That's why I'm trying to find a solution to the problem
I have had at least two cats all my life and I have never experienced problems like that . He sounds like a very unhappy cat and perhaps would actually be happier being rehomed .
Gypsy
Ontario, Canada
Gypsy is female 

07-08-2014, 04:11 PM

Tess, must be frustrating when it is not even your cat.

I do know that on this side of the pond they sell a product to glue on the nail tips to eliminate the scratching problem. Think glue on nails for kitties. Some people do not approve of declawing a cat.

In the event there is no medical problem I find that baking soda sprinkled in the litter eliminates the smell which might be the cause of kitty not making use of the box.

Good luck.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 05:00 PM

Yes I agree with BowieEyes. Cat is probably bored. You need to play with him more. Our cat Coco has two pots of Cat Grass which she does chew. But if you play with the Cat, you will find he won't be clawing your furniture etc.

Coco has never clawed any of my furniture.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tess ->
My daughter's cat won't go outside....he refuses point blank....she bought a harness and lead when he was old enough to go out but he just lay on his side refusing to walk and allowed himself to be pulled along like he was playing dead! She's tried several times since but the reaction is always the same...it was so funny the first time he did it
Our cat won't walk on a lead either, at least not very far but we put him in a harness on a 50' lead & he loves being out back. He lies in the long grass to keep cool or just walks around. We switch him one side or the other, of the house if it's too sunny & he's out all day in this weather with a water bowl.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 06:45 PM

I don't have any problems at all with Coco, she has been on a Harness and Dog's lead since she was 5 months old, she is now 10 years old and puts her own feet in the harness for me.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top