Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 10:31 PM

Re: The 11+

I'm not sure what happened to most of my school pals. I know that one became a Methodist minister, one expanded his father's building business into a large Builders' merchant. One is an architect, one an accountant and one is a graveyard supervisor! At least he won't be short of work!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by kittylion ->

This did not exist in my area - I think it must have been a regional thing. Virtually nobody I know in the North West of me age group was given the opportunity of moving schools. None of my friends in the Sec Mods were given the chance to take such an exam. It would have been much better if they had been!
I didn't know that - I assumed that the 13+ was a nationwide option.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 03:52 PM

I went to a grammar school but hated the academic side of it, whilst all I wanted was to do was woodwork, metalwork and technical drawing what I ended up doing was academic subjects such as latin, french, history and english, so I borrowed nine quid off my dad and bought myself out of the last year, leaving school at fifteen.

Having said that, I think the grammar school system is very good and it actually served me well, the information that I retained, but the fact is that academia doesn't suit everyone....
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 04:26 PM

I'm sure my parents just wanted me to go to Grammar school for their "benefit" - so that they could say what good parents they had been. I made the mistake of going to university for please them. I didn't like uni - all those years of differential equations and transmission line theory. No use in the world of computers!

I too think that the Grammar school system is very good, but it doesn't suit everyone and the Technical college is better tailored to science and maths based education.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->

I too think that the Grammar school system is very good, but it doesn't suit everyone and the Technical college is better tailored to science and maths based education.
You're right there George, once I started technical college for my apprenticeship I excelled and never looked back. Leaving school early was the best thing I ever did...
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

15-01-2015, 10:38 AM

As I recall, the first couple of years at 'Tech' included woodwork & metalwork. After that, the school 'split' into those doing craft skills and those following an academic path.
Even though that was 50 years ago, I can still cut a haunched mortice & tenon joint using hand tools, or braze metal - BUT I can't remember how to solve a differential equation.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 10:51 AM

I did enjoy university once I had changed courses from a crap chemist to psychology. But ,as mentioned,I feel I was forced to take that route so the ignorant one could crow.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 11:25 AM

I often wished I'd never passed the 11+ because I came from a very small school and I was the only one in my class of 30 to pass it. I had to leave all my friends behind as they all went to Secondary School and I never enjoyed myself at the Grammar School in the entire time I was there.
kittylion
Lancashire, United Kingdom
kittylion is female  kittylion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 10:56 PM

Tachyon, that is so sad!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top