Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:37 AM

Re: Fraud on your Bank Account

I'd be more worried that someone has managed to access your home or intercepted your post while you've been away. Perhaps there are people who go to hospitals and listen when someone is being booked in.

I mean how could someone have a replica card unless it was delivered and signed for at your home address? I don't think it's so easy to clone them anymore, but easier to steal identity and redirect.

Someone once cloned my card but that was many years ago before chip and pin. I think it was a garage. I never let it out of my sight now.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I've been back into the bank again they have said that as they are aware of the fraudulent use setting up the Netflix account they won't stop my card yet unless any further suspect use is made. They have said it they do find anything suspicious they will ring me first to confirm it's a purchase I am making, up to 8pm their normal working hours. After that they would just stop the card. I'm going into my branch first thing tomorrow to get cash out just in case.
I'd set up a new account, perhaps with a different bank.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 11:16 AM

It's not just bank Cards, these days, as I just had a "hit" on my eBay account.

I happened to log in to eBay, at the beginning of March, to track a purchase I had planned.

Once there I noted that there were a dozen, or so, transactions in my eBay "trolley" which had nothing to do with me!

This was on a Friday - just after banks would be closed for the weekend (not uncommon timing, I hear).

Digging deeper I noted that all were on my eBay account and all were set up for delivery to an address in Russia (yes, them again).

Working with eBay res centre, and Paypal, I have managed to get rid of these, the last one yesterday!

How did they get in? They must have had my account address & they must have fished,or keylogged, my password.

Had I not spotted this, on the day, there would have been an automatic payment transferal from Paypal!

I have now turned off the automatic payment link between Paypal & eBay!

..................and I thought i knew what I was doing!

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc
Had I not spotted this, on the day, there would have been an automatic payment transferal from Paypal!

I have now turned off the automatic payment link between Paypal & eBay!

..................and I thought i knew what I was doing!
Good thinking Batman!

I'm just off to do likewise...goodness knows how though, eBay settings I presume...
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Pay for replacement glasses at Specsavers over the phone
Of the transactions you made this is the one that stands out. Online purchases are safe but buying over the phone in this day and age is just stupid.

NEVER ever give out your card details over the phone. Just don't do it. If the company has no other means to allow you to pay tell them their business sucks and walk away.

A year and a bit ago I renewed my house insurance with a certain company. It was an old policy which we'd had for years and as a result of that the policy details and structure weren't in their latest computer system.

There was thus no online payment option. My only option was to give my card details over the phone. I foolishly relented and gave the details. As I gave them the helpdesk operator repeated them and did so rather loudly I thought.
All went through ok but a day or 2 later I was contacted by the bank who said they thought I now had fraudulent transactions, which I did. Nothing major, a £30 payment to some mobile phone company. Bank were no problem at all and I dutifully informed them where the fraud had likely occurred, with the helpdesk of the insurance company.

I also rang the insurance company and spoke to the head manager there to inform them what their helpdesk operators were doing. They didn't seem overly bothered imo.

A year later (a few months ago) it was renewal time again. Phoned them and once again my only option was to pay over the phone.

This time I told them their business systems were archaic and stupid and that I was not walking away because of that.

So I just switched suppliers to a company with easy online facilities and that was that.

To be honest thee frauds are nearly always obvious imo.

The previous time my card details were taken was when I bought an item of clothing in one of those retail outlets. The lady on the till said their pin and chip machine wasn't working in that it had no connection to the bank system. You could still use the card reader to log the transaction but the receipts and slips were then being kept to be registered tomorrow.

Sure enough within 24hrs I got the call from the bank. I told them the shop details where the fraud was likely to have happened.

In the end if there is anything remotely out of the ordinary with a payment then stop it straight away and walk away imo.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Of the transactions you made this is the one that stands out. Online purchases are safe but buying over the phone in this day and age is just stupid.

NEVER ever give out your card details over the phone. Just don't do it. If the company has no other means to allow you to pay tell them their business sucks and walk away.

A year and a bit ago I renewed my house insurance with a certain company. It was an old policy which we'd had for years and as a result of that the policy details and structure weren't in their latest computer system.

There was thus no online payment option. My only option was to give my card details over the phone. I foolishly relented and gave the details. As I gave them the helpdesk operator repeated them and did so rather loudly I thought.
All went through ok but a day or 2 later I was contacted by the bank who said they thought I now had fraudulent transactions, which I did. Nothing major, a £30 payment to some mobile phone company. Bank were no problem at all and I dutifully informed them where the fraud had likely occurred, with the helpdesk of the insurance company.

I also rang the insurance company and spoke to the head manager there to inform them what their helpdesk operators were doing. They didn't seem overly bothered imo.

A year later (a few months ago) it was renewal time again. Phoned them and once again my only option was to pay over the phone.

This time I told them their business systems were archaic and stupid and that I was not walking away because of that.

So I just switched suppliers to a company with easy online facilities and that was that.

To be honest thee frauds are nearly always obvious imo.

The previous time my card details were taken was when I bought an item of clothing in one of those retail outlets. The lady on the till said their pin and chip machine wasn't working in that it had no connection to the bank system. You could still use the card reader to log the transaction but the receipts and slips were then being kept to be registered tomorrow.

Sure enough within 24hrs I got the call from the bank. I told them the shop details where the fraud was likely to have happened.

In the end if there is anything remotely out of the ordinary with a payment then stop it straight away and walk away imo.
Wise advice.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
It's not safe to do that these days Galty, my friend took money out of the cash machine (£30) two weeks ago and she was mugged for the pittance and her bank card right at the cash machine. I'm always frightened these days at cash machines, I think maybe the safest place these days to get cash is by getting cashback at supermarket checkout
Aye good advice...I never use a cash machine,if I need a small amount I'll get it from cashback at the SM...larger amounts I get in the Bank.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Good thinking Batman!

I'm just off to do likewise...goodness knows how though, eBay settings I presume...
Yes, account settings in eBay .

Whilst you're there, you should check your home address, in those settings, mine had been changed to a Russian address!!

I still have one big worry!

Who knows all your details down there in eBay?

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Yes, account settings in ebay .
Couldn't find the link I was looking for, so went to Contact Us and A Real Person called!!
He was lovely and had done the deed in seconds!

So now my eBay account is officially divorced from PayPal.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

13-04-2018, 04:20 PM

I was forced to pay over the phone for a couple of things recently. I was fuming because I very much agree with Realist. But I was forced to do this because I wanted that particular service.

I'd never use my debit card. My credit card company is very good at blocking anything suspicious. It's always me phoning them up to say that yes I did order whatever they have blocked.

It's a good idea to tell your credit card company where you are going on holiday so that they don't block purchases abroad.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top