Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 11:53 AM

Re: Gangs

But when did the word "gang" here first imply violence?

Yes, I know plenty of the above were violent but that wasn't the question, was it?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 12:12 PM

It was always harder leaving a Gang than joining.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 12:17 PM

Back int 50`s n 60`s, we used to link arms in the playground and shout "do you wanna be in our gang" to garner members.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 12:27 PM

For me the word "gang" implies a criminal element. So, in the 60's The Krays and the Richardsons were gangs, but mods, rockers and Teddy Boys were not. Today's "postcode gangs" are closely involved with the selling of drugs within their area. Gangs tend to be fairly local, whereas Mods, Rockers etc were more of a national, subcultural phenomenon.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 12:29 PM

Hey weren't the MODS driving around on SCOOTERS,all decked out with Mirror's and horns and crap.I would think it's hard to look tough while riding a scooter,it just doesn't say HARD,Tough,Watch out I'm Dangerous.More along the lines,of Economical,and WEEEEEEEE.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 12:39 PM

Yes, to ride one needs a good Wrist Action.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by DragonsRealm ->
Hey weren't the MODS driving around on SCOOTERS,all decked out with Mirror's and horns and crap.I would think it's hard to look tough while riding a scooter,it just doesn't say HARD,Tough,Watch out I'm Dangerous.More along the lines,of Economical,and WEEEEEEEE.
I was a mod Dragon, but I hated scooters so I wore my Parka on my BSA 650cc Gold Star - loved that bike! (The bike in the photo isn't my actual bike - that went to the great scrapyard in the sky many moons ago!)

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Gangs, the world runs on them, they are just bigger than they used to be, but, if one (or a member of one) of them steps out of line, is the terminology sill the same, most squabbles seem to be territorial so, do todays diplomats still say
"Get up yer own end"
"Yer wanna watch it you do"
"Come round here again and yer gonna get it"
Or has the language changed, to something more refined?
Gangs are all part of human and animal behaviour, Monkey’s hang around in gangs too, as do Elephants and Tigers, packs is another word for a gang but never used when referring to humans. When we become mature adults we all join various other gangs, although they would never dream of calling themselves a gang they are gangs none the less, labour party supporters, Tory supporters, Man United supporters, save the Whale supporters, Charity gangs, etc., all gangs with their own favourites, leaders and their own rules, you are a one man gang until you get married then you become a two person gang and eventually a family gang, yes Spitty the whole world is made up of gangs, chain gangs, the gang of four, gangs of workers, the crazy gang, ging gang goolie goolie wash wash gangs, all fighting for supremacy. You just can’t get away from gangs.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 04:41 PM

I suppose we had groups,not sure they were `gangs` though. Some thought us `posh` just because we passed the 11+. They tried to fight us a couple of times but gym,cross country running and rugger---------??? they never had a prayer. Halcyon days
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 05:44 PM

There were definitely groups of children who called themselves gangs or were recognised as such but they weren't seriously violent or criminal.

At some point and I'm still trying to work out when the word started to imply serious violence.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top