Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Re: Is this genuine

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Julie, I decided to phone them just now.
I told them they had got part of my name wrong and had never knew anyone at the address they were searching about.

They said OK and they agreed it isn't me they want then and will remove my address from their records.

Thanks very much for trying to help anyway though.
That's a shame Mups. I was hoping you were going to buy cakes for us all to celebrate.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well yes, it was bothering me a bit TBH, I didn't know if someone was trying to scam me, and I still don't know how they got my address..
Anyone can get your address and plenty of other details with some basic searching on the internet. Electoral roll records for starters will tell anyone your address and all the other people that live there.

The company you received a letter from is legit I believe and traces people on behalf of various companies who have shares. They are simply looking for opportunities to make money from people who they hope can't be bothered to do the paperwork themselves. Bit like PPI companies and Injury Lawyers.

No need to utilise them. Go direct to the companies that the shares are with.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Anyone can get your address and plenty of other details with some basic searching on the internet. Electoral roll records for starters will tell anyone your address and all the other people that live there.

The company you received a letter from is legit I believe and traces people on behalf of various companies who have shares. They are simply looking for opportunities to make money from people who they hope can't be bothered to do the paperwork themselves. Bit like PPI companies and Injury Lawyers.

Realist, Does this mean that l could apply for the outstanding dividend money from my mother’s National Grid shares myself?
These shares were sold via the solicitor two years after her death but we never received the dividends that Capita says, there are seven cheques amounting to £51.73.
I don’t even know the serial numbers of the shares!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Direct is best Realist.
In my own experience the company contacted me directly.
It cost me absolutely nothing. They were tracing an abandoned Pension Plan taken out in 1981 which only had 500 quid paid in for one years premiums and was left to lapse.. I've moved house twice too. Unlike Barclays there was never any management fee either so it was forgotten about.
Can't complain at the final payout ... in fact I wish I'd given them more they did quite well with that 500 quid.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Oh that was disppointing Mups! I was hoping you'd end up with a bit of a windfall to help with all your recent house renovations, the bits you had to pay for!

Talking of Heir Hunters, even the company featured takes a cut of the inheritance handed over to the beneficiaries. They scour the website for the published wills, intestate (there is a latin phrase, which I forget), look for the ones with the highest amount, to make it worth their while, then look for the living relatives.

Greedy so and sos.

Bona Vacantia. That's the expression. It means 'empty goods'.

Well fancy that! I never knew that, Jazzi.
I agree with you, greedy so-and-so's.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top