Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 04:53 PM

Re: House Sharing

No Mollie I am with Meg here couldnt even think about it.Peoplarent like us older ones, we have our ways of doing things and how do we know what people are like these days.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 06:14 PM

I have done a flatshare with friend, lived alone, lived with a partner, had a lodger ( none friend) and lived alone, now my parents live here, and I have to say enjoyed all of them. When I first left home I moved with a friend into a flatshare. Moved on due to work. age and finances and I brought my flat....loved it but was out most of the time being in my early 20's. Moved in with my partner and we both sold and brought a house together, when he died I sold up and moved and due to a quirk of fate ended up with a lodger (son of a friend of a friend who did not get on with his Mom's new husband) this worked kinda well and when he was able to survive alone and moved on to University after a short time, I decided NOT to get another lodger.......however few years later fate intervened..... how it came about she (lodger) went into the papershop and asked to put an advert in for a room and the lady in the shop was my neighbours mom and she told me a nice "young lady" was looking for a room as her flatmate was getting married, and she was uncomfortable there.
The girl/lady in question was a junior Doctor and it worked
out well. I did this properly though - credit references, work refs, firm rules and a good agreement fair both sides.She stayed till I moved. So would I do it again........not sure I really came to enjoy my own space; but had no bad experiences with any of the people I shared my space with
now my parents are here.....its different as you can imagine. But I would not rule out sharing.

I enjoy living alone - however just a thought why not mention to a few people at work/close firends you may have a room to rent out and see what comes about ......................you could maybe rent to someone from work (not sure what size company you work for) you would have an idea "about them" and their circumstances. Or if you have a hospital/trainning centre near you could try there. Police station or fire station is a good idea. Stay away from uni's- students may not be what you want. The Mon-Fri thing looks good but maybe in your case in reverse. Sun-Mon?????
You could do a short tenancy agreement and try it out. But you say you want company in the evenings BUT there is no saying the lodger would be in then they could be out;with friends; working; in their room..........they will have their own life and maybe/probably not want to sit watching TV with you. You could just find yourself out of cornflakes/milk/hot water and still alone. You need to be realisitic I must say I never took on a lodger for company only for financial gain or as a sort of favour the first one (totaly different though).
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 06:24 PM

It's not too bad taking in a lodger if there are separate facilities, but to share a bathroom takes friendship....
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 09:59 PM

Once again thank you for your replies.

It wouldn't be just for company as I don't sit and watch TV, but a resident could do that in their own sitting room if they wanted to.

As for volunteer work, that's not something I would go into being as I still work, which tires me, so I've not much energy left.

As to the legalities. I'm very much aware that a contract of residency would have to be drawn up and, provided both parties agreed to it and signed, then there'd be no need for a solicitor.

I dunno. I really don't, but I wouldn't especially like to share with a young person. They'd probably drive me bonkers!

It would just be nice to have someone else rattling around and perhaps share a meal occasionally, or have a chat with.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 10:43 PM

Mollie, that's a difficult one, but others have given you lots of advice, and I can't really add more, except I wish you well with whatever you decide.

For me personally, I just could not share with anyone-love my own space and my own company.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 11:39 PM

Same as merz, would absolutely hate it. I love my privacy and am comfortable in my own company.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 11:56 PM

I'm wondering how many of you actually live alone and have no children or other family to call upon.

I know Eileen is like me having had no children, and I think it's admirable to be able to enjoy your own space. I suppose I do, but only to a point as I easily get bored.

This sounds a bit mercenary, but what if something happened to me over a weekend, or anyone else who lives alone? Nobody would know, and for me it would only be questioned as to my whereabouts at work when I didn't show up.

'Tis a puzzlement, is it not.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 12:08 AM

I live alone Mollie, but have no children of my own. Am very fortunate in having a Brother/Sisters and their families. We are not in contact every day, but I know I can contact them anytime. I am also very lucky in having two lovely people as neighbours-husband and wife. We always check on each other every day to make sure we are alright. Do you have any close friends/neighbours who would be willing to give you a call to see if everything alright?
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 12:13 AM

Hi Mollie
My neighbour is retired, She has foreign students who stay with her. this suites her, because she can choose, the times she wants people to stay. When she goes away the agency's, she goes through, arrange for them to stay somewhere else. She goes through the local collages. So they arrange the students. this has worked well for her for the last 4yrs.
Just a thought, Maybe this may work for you to.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

30-10-2011, 12:26 AM

Thanks ladies.

Merz, I have just one brother and the last time I heard from him was in June this year. I don't have any close friends or relatives any longer so I'm pretty much on my own now, apart from the lovely folk on this forum.

Shaz, I'm really not sure I'd want a student living under my roof, although I must admit that years ago Gordon and I looked into that possibility because of finances at that time, but we backed out again when his business picked up.

I don't want a lodger, per se, but somebody to house-share, which would include helping with cleaning etc. I wouldn't necessarily charge rent, but would want to go halves with gas, electricity and other utilities.

I have to admit I am a bit fussy, so it would be a difficult decision to make unless I was absolutely 100% certain of who I'm taking on.

I'm in no rush, so I'll sit and study for a while longer before coming to any decisions.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top