Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 08:34 PM

Re: Infuriating

Perhaps a silly question, but are there plenty of litter bins about?

People who do that sort of disgusting littering perhaps still wouldn't use a bin if it was right under their noses, but I do think the councils should have supplied many more waste bins for all the extra litter at the moment. I haven't seen one extra bin put up anywhere around here, not one.

Dog poo is obviously a very different kind of waste, but the principle is the same. There are those who always pick up, and those who never do, but not many people want to walk miles or have to go into a shop even, carrying a bag full of stinking poo but there are nowhere near enough bins to dispose of it.

With all the potential extra litter at the mo, we need many more places to dispose of it.
Like I said though, still some won't bother.

I don't see why we can't have fines for these litter dumpers same as there is for the dog owners, there might be more incentive to dispose of these things safely then, instead of just chucking them on the ground for other people to clear up.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 08:53 PM

Good question, Mups. There were two front and center outside of the store, but in the parking lot there aren't any, nor are there in most parking lots here.

I am all in favor of an in incentive of at least $1,000 for a first deliberate offense of medical waste and going up exponentially from there.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2021, 03:27 AM

Hi

Why do we also assume it is the youngsters?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2021, 07:59 AM

Same old problem, different manifestation, none poop scooping has been going on for eternity, by all age groups and social classes, nowt changes apart from the manifestation
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2021, 08:02 AM

Folks don't need to be Illiterate to litter.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2021, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I assume that's where you live Surfermom? I don't know about the United States but someone I know went to Canada and was really taken by how clean everywhere was.

You might see a different attitude and age group if you lived here in the UK. I live in a small rural village, some of those who drive through here, possibly on the way home after collecting a takeaway and eating it then throw the bags, containers and plastic drinks bottles out of the car windows onto the grass verges, the road, people's gardens and driveways. Some in this village go out once a week to litter pick and clean up after these litter louts, it's that bad.
We have regular litter picking for the same reason....infuriating isn't it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2021, 09:20 AM

I ride by a railway station fairly frequently (normally). I have seen masks just thrown on the ground around there too. People wear them on trains, then some just drop them on the ground as they walk away. The same as they do with all other litter no doubt.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 11:11 AM

We get a lot of litter in our front garden because the prevailing wind blows straight up the street. It's worse on bin day and the day after.

Occasionally something will get blown into the back garden, but it's rare. What we do get is stuff chucked over the fence such as bottles and tins, carrier bags, part eaten takeaway food and containers. I even found several car radios wedged between the fence and my workshop, presumably nicked from cars then dumped for whatever reason. The Police were never able to trace the owners.

Over a period of about a week during the first lockdown I found a couple of disposable masks and several gloves right in the far corner.
Wearing my own mask, I tried picking it up with a grabber but in the end I double gloved, put it inside a bag, and chucked it in the rubbish bin, followed by my gloves.
We've got a couple of battery operated liquid soap dispensers, and I got my Lovely Cousin to open the door and turn on the tap so I didn't touch anything until my hands were thoroughly washed and gelled.

I felt nauseated, disgusted, and worried about what I might pick up or pass on to my family.

There are many causes of littering. Ignorance, laziness, and selfishness being the main three in my opinion.
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 11:19 AM

As Im something of a nutter I took to picking rubbish up walking the dog
(it was boredom really).
Do you know I believe others started doing the same.

Its been a few years now since I could fill a bag.

That first year I made 6-7bag fulls.

I should have had myself photographed for posterity with my long reach grabber cradled in my lap and a mean thousand yard stare and perhaps submitted it anymously for a citizens award.

I reckon Im about due an invitation to the garden party..I suppose I could volunteer to pick the litterup there ( just saying incase the queens browsing this forum)
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

07-01-2021, 11:58 AM

Picking up litter of your own volition is laudable but, did you scoop the poop?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top